Windows Explorer TRIED EVERYTHING

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shemarrah

Hello,

I've read through previous threads but still can't fix this prob.
I have a blank grey pane in my windows explorer where the directory tree should be......

Tried the download from previous threads - exp.txt

It doesn't seem to work - am i doing something wrong.

Checked for ExplorerBar in the registry and it wasn't there to begin with so i couldn't delete it.

HELP this is really starting to bug me!!!!!!

:mad:

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
What version of Windows are you using---win95-98-ME-XP etc?

Sometimes, Explorer gets corrupted, and one of the things that can happen is the two-pane view disappears, happened to me once...

For Win9x....try this repair for IE and Explorer (they are the same thing mostly)

If you have ever upgraded the version of Internet Explorer from that which came with whichever version of Windows you have, then in your Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs list you may see "Microsoft Internet Explorer and Internet Tools", if so, please double click on that item, you will get a choice of 3 things, pick "Repair this version of IE" and run the repair tool. When it finishes, it will tell you it fixed something or that you must reinstall IE. If you do have to reinstall, first you have to Remove IE---do that with the same 3-choice applet after you redo from Add/Remove Programs> choosing "Roll back to the prevous configuration" or whatever it tells you...

Then you will have to somehow either download and reinstall IE higher version, like 6.0, or find a CD with a copy... AOL CDs do, but it is hidden, you have to have "Show all files" enabled in Explorer's Folder Options setttings to see the extra hidden files on an AOL CD. Lots of other ISP CDs also have IE...Earthlink, MSN etc do.

After you have either repaired or reinstalled Internet Explorer, the two pane view should be back.

For winXP> You don't have much choice as it comes with IE 6.0 and NO repair tool that is ready to go....but> you can do this:

Put your XP CD into the CD drive, if it starts the CD, just simply hit the Exit button bottom left, go to:

Start>Run> type in the run line "cmd.exe" (no quotes) hit Enter key, then
type in just exactly what you see here, note where the space is and type it that way>

sfc /scannow

then hit Enter key once. The Protected files that make up XP will be scanned and replaced if need be...at the finish, it does not give you any messages, just closes, so take the CD out and try things, you might have to restart....

Let us know.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, see my last reply, I added what I would do to try and fix the problem. ((IF this is a malware problem, what I've included may not help!))

You could post a Hijackthis log, let us know if you need steps to do that.

In your case, you HAVE upgraded IE to 6.0, as 98 comes with 5.0...so try the Repair option first. If you have to reinstall, do it, it's not that difficult.

First roll back to 5.5 or 5.0,. then reinstall to 6.0. If you just have dialup connection> I advise borrowing a CD with a copy of IE 6.0 or 5.5 or whatever you need on it! For broadband, it's only about a half hour or so download.

On an ISP CD, you will be running the ie6setup.exe file to reinstall, or whatever you see to start the setup for Internet Explorer 6.
You would of course NOT install the actual AOL or other software...CANCEL any install except IE iteself....in My Computer window, right click the CD drive that shows the CD name and from the drop down list, click "Explore" to see the actual folders and files on that CD, and run ie6setup.exe.

Hey i had the same problem!!! I have windows 98SE and IE 6.0.
The left pane of the windows Explorer would appear grey.. however.. the other windows like MY Documents etc would work fine when even in web view. But thankfully its been fixed now. Dont what fixed it though!!!
I did a couple of scans with spybot and ad-aware and also the CW shredder.
Had the HJT log examined.. One of these might have worked for it! Maybe you would consider running the scans first to chk if that helps.

Good luck to you!
Cheers.
Aarti.

Shemarrah

Hey thanks, I'm going to try the repair option first I have hijack this so i will post a log but i don't think its malware coz i'm really up to date with that but you never know....

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:36:15 PM, on 13/07/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DSLAUNCH.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TOSHIBSU.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\THOTKEY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PWRTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSPCCARD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TESCKEY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TFUNCKEY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB07.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\S3TRAY.EXE
C:\VET\VETMSG.EXE
C:\VET\VETTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
C:\MYOB12\MYOB.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ninemsn.com.au/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.optusnet.com.au/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer from OptusNet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YAMAHA DS-XG Launcher] C:\WINDOWS\dslaunch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TOSHIBSU] TOSHIBSU.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THotkey] THotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TDspOff] TDspOff.Exe B
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PowerTray] PwrTray.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PsPCCard] PsPCCard.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TEscKey] TEscKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFunckey] TFuncKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bpcpost.exe] c:\windows\SYSTEM\bpcpost.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb07.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [S3TRAY] S3tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Vet Alert] c:\VET\VETMSG.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] c:\VET\VETTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SearchUpgrader] C:\Program Files\Common files\SearchUpgrader\SearchUpgrader.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlPanel] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\cmd64.exe internat.dll,LoadKeyboardProfile
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [VidSvr]
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Vanisher] C:\SPYWAREVANISHER-FREE\FREESCANNER.EXE -FastScan
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWARE DOCTOR\SWDOCTOR.EXE" /Q
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0322.DLL (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0322.DLL (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Ebates - {6685509E-B47B-4f47-8E16-9A5F3A62F683} - file://C:\PROGRAM FILES\EBATES_MOEMONEYMAKER\Sy350\Tp350\scri350a.htm (file missing) (HKCU)
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = notebook.optusnet.com.au
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: NameServer = 202.139.83.3,192.65.90.202

Shemarrah

Hey, I did the repair option on Microsoft Internet and Tool however in this box it showed that I had v.5.5 and said that v.6 could not be repaired.
It suggested reloading v6 from setup due to some missing components.
Should I choose the previous windows config which is v.5.0, and then reload v.6?

Shemarrah

Hey guess what - its fixed!!!!!

There was an error with the components when I loaded IE 6. So I reloaded it and it fixed everything!!!!!! I have my left pane back.

Thanks again!!!!! :) :)

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Seems to be some minor adware on there...you could try the IE Repair, by now I guess you have...or, fix the baddies first.

Add/Remove Programs, while you are connected to the net...

Look for KeenValue, or eUniverse, VirtualBouncer or Powerscan and uninstall.

Do you have Ad-Aware SE 1.06 (1.06r1 is the newest)??

And, SpyBot Search and Destroy 1.4RC2?? (newest))

These new versions are coming along fairly often, and often they work better...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Install, get the latest updates and run a scan with SpyBot first...let it remove what it finds.

For Ad-Aware SE, there are a few settings to do>

flrman1 said:
url=http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button]here[/url] and download Ad-Aware SE.
  • Install the program and launch it.
  • First in the main window look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now
  • Click Connect and download the latest reference files.
  • From main window click Start then under Select a scan Mode tick Perform full system scan.
  • Next deselect Search for negligible risk entries.
  • Now to scan just click the Next button.
  • When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it.
  • Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and click Next
  • Restart your computer.
Then post a new log and we will see what is left.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online