1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows explorer using between 70 to 100% cpu

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JustSomeBloke, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustSomeBloke

JustSomeBloke Thread Starter

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3340S CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8074 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 149 GB (21 GB Free); D: 296 GB (31 GB Free); G: 3725 GB (2532 GB Free); J: 931 GB (611 GB Free); M: 448 GB (290 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., CM6330_CM6630_CM6730_CM6830_M11AA
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I've noticed this on occasion because I've become attuned to the pitch of the drive and always have task manager pinned so I can open it .
    Im not sure when exactly this started, but its a recent thing.
    All I wanted to do was open the M drive, right click a wav file to copy it and post it to another folder on the same drive. With some files its fine, but with others, right clicking causes explorer to not respond and the right click menu doesn't appear. The green bar at the top is slowly moving from left to right.

When I open task manager, CPU is sometimes showing 100%, with 70% on explorer and 27% on COM surrogate, which I've never seen before or was just never aware of it.

I ran windows update, and there were a few that were a little behind. It installed 7 updates, and rebooted. When I tried to do what I had been doing, explorer seemed to be down from 70% to 50% but was still red in task manager, and the sound of the drive was spinning up as before.

I've messed around with the indexing options.
    I had them all turned off because they were slowing everything down at one point in the past.
    Today I thought it might be best to turn them back on to get quicker access when I open any of my external drives as the files will be accessed quicker...........I dunno......Im not sure how that works, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference either way.

Another thing I'm being badgered with is a small window saying "reconnect your drive" which refers to the "file history drive". The window appears intermittently and its gone before I could take a screenshot. Im wondering if this might be connected to the explorer issue above.

Something else I forgot to mention.............There is a folder on my desktop that refuses to be deleted. I've also tried renaming it, and it won't go. Its connected to a piece of hardware called Maschine by Native Instruments and isn't malware or anything. Its not an exe file. Its just a folder called Maschine_2 iso extracted . when I try to delete it nothing happens. When I try to rename it, windows says it is no longer located on the desktop, even though im sitting looking at it...........just seems to be corrupted. Not sure again if there's a connection, but thought it might be worth mentioning as it's unusual.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me to fix these issues =)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice