1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer View

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bobhen, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobhen

bobhen Thread Starter

I set my Windows Explorer view by going to View, Choose Details, and then setting the column headings that I want to see, and then choosing the column widths (in pixels) that I want for each column. Then I Refresh the window and then go to Tools, Folder Options, and View. From that I select to make all folders the same view. This has worked for quite some time, but recently, when I reboot, the Windows Explorer reverts to the Microsoft default view. Can anyone tell me how to make MY need override MR. GATES desires???
    bobhen

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    Download #2. Increase Folder View Size Limit to 8000
    To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

3. bobhen

bobhen Thread Starter

Thank you Mike, but I don't want to start another problem with one more program. I just wanted to know why this process doesn't work anymore.
    bobhen

4. mike5532g

mike5532g

The reg file is not a program, but will make the necessary changes in the registry to fix your problem. You could do it manually, however, messing around the registry is dangerous. For more info go to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/folderviews.htm

5. bobhen

bobhen Thread Starter

Thanks mike5523g. I finally got the nerve to try this fix using the bags8000.reg file. I ran it as suggested and it does seem to have fixed my problem. Thanks again.
    bobhen

6. bobhen

bobhen Thread Starter

Thanks mike5532g, I finally got the nerve to try this fix using the bags8000.reg file. I ran it as suggested and it does seem to have fixed my problem. Thanks again.
    bobhen

7. mike5532g

mike5532g

8. bobhen

bobhen Thread Starter

Well Mike5532g, I spoke too soon. It worked for a day, but most of the folders have now reverted back to the Microsoft Way. This is like another problem on another computer that I have. I have partitioned the hard drive and named an external hard drive G:. Mr Microsoft insists that my CD drive be G: and pushes my external drive to H:.
    Thanks for your help anyway. bobhen

9. bobhen

bobhen Thread Starter

Haven't found the solution to this problem yet. Any more ideas?
    bobhen

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice