1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer Won't Run

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MrEd1, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrEd1

MrEd1 Thread Starter

XP OEM home crashed and was in endless loop boot.Restored the system32.config file with the repair backup per Microsoft not realizing it said not to do on OEM systems because it messes up custom user profiles. Got system to boot. Last thing I did which caused crash was to restore a full registry backup (reg files) but got an error message that some files could not be restored. Computer then "hung" on windows shutting down screen so I forced it off and rebooted and the error message:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF8A0C528, 0xc0000034,0x00000000, 0x00000000).
    Other facts: Did following from Windows Recovery Console before getting it to boot:
    - CHKDSK /F /R (try to boot)
    - fixmbr (try to boot)
    - fixboot (try to boot)
    - Safe Mode (try to boot)
    Also ran CC Cleaner reg repair prior to crash but no impact. Ran Malware bytes, Spybot Search and Destroy and Avira AntiVirus, trojan remover (said Jawbone uninstaller was suspect...false positive..didn't remove it). Don't think it was a trojan or malware,

Question: Why didn't the registry restore work? It said it couldn't replace some files. Were they in use? I tried it again last night and same crash.

Lstly, if you are going to tell me to do a restore, I don't have my Sony OEM recovery disk but only the recovery application disks. I am looking for a solution please then the standard wipe the drive and reload the operating system or a system repair as I have no disk. Been searching for 5 days online but to no avail. Thanks for your help!

2. TekTime

TekTime

"Also ran CC Cleaner reg repair prior to crash but no impact."

-----------------

Are you saying that you ran the CCleaner registry cleaner tool prior to having the Explorer problem?
    In other words, was your computer working okay before using it?

I always advise never to use these programs as they can do more damage than good

-

Since you have XP, you have the option of performing a "Repair Install," as long as you have the installation disk. That will repair your computer non-destructively and it usually works with no problems.

3. MrEd1

MrEd1 Thread Starter

Yes but machine was fine except that my 2006 Quicken didn't connect so I doubleclicked on a backup full registry file I had (.reg) thinking it would restore it back a couple of weeks. Nothing was happening so I clicked it again. Got the message that some files could not be replaced. Tried to restart but computer hung up on "Windows Is Shutting Down" so I pressed the power button to force it to shutdown. When I rebooted I was in the endless boot cycle loop. Did a "repair" from the recovery console then saw Microsoft said not to do it on OEM system. No desktop with any user profile or in safe mode.Don't have Sony system recovery disk since this is a 2001 computer.Thx.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice