1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Windows failed to start" "\Windows\System32\winload.exe missing or corrupt"

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Alex Ethridge, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I'm posting this in the Vista forum because this has never happened with Windows 2000 or XP.

I bought two exact duplicate models of hard disks. I set up Vista Ultimate on one of my systems. I used Acronis True Image 10 to clone the operating disk to the factory-new, never-used, same model disk as a backup drive in the event the first disk failed. I put in the clone to be sure it runs; but, I get the error mentioned in the title of this thread.

Now, if the second disk is supposed to be a clone of the first, why does this happen and how can I fix it?

I'm not married to Acronis for this job so I would use any disk cloning tool that makes a sector-for-sector copy. I use Norton Ghost 2003 for making sector-for-sector raw image (forensic) copies of PATA drives; but, these are SATA drives and Ghost 2003 simply sits there like Tarbaby and he don't say nuttin' to no SATA drive.

2. moper

moper

3. Alex Ethridge

I have version 11 here. Is it ready for Vista?

Still, I would rather have a utility that will do a sector-for-sector copy of an entire disk, regardless of boot sectors, partitions, etc. If you are familiar with what a forensic copy is, that is what I want. I do forensic copies of PATA drives with Norton Ghost 2003; but, it will not work with SATA drives. Be nice if it would.

4. moper

moper

I understand Version 11 will do a sector by sector copy as an option.
    Advertized by Acronis for Version 11:
    I don't have Version 11, so I don't know if that will also clone, or you first have to create an image.

Vista also uses a new partitioning rules which it seems some cloning programs try to correct, leading to a non boot. http://www.multibooters.co.uk/partitions.html

Sector by sector would seem like the way to go, but it will create larger images, as the whole partition will be done, not just used space.

Macrium Reflect, on the other hand uses the Shadow Copy Service, with great success.

moper

5. Alex Ethridge

Sector-for-sector raw is a true disk copy. It isn't aware of partition tables, boot sectors or which files are deleted and which are undeleted/active files. It copies every byte in every sector, free space and all. You can actually take such a duplicated disk and do file recovery of deleted files on the original and the duplicate disk and get identical results.

It is the same kind of copy law enforcement uses in forensics. They never work with the original disk beyond making a forensic copy. All evidence is then gathered from the copy.

It is this kind of copy I have always made for my main machine and my server onto another duplicate disk and kept that duplicate in a cabinet. In the event of hard disk failure, I'm back up in less than 5 minutes. In the past, I have made those copies with Norton Ghost 2003; but, Ghost 2003 doesn't work on SATA drives.

6. moper

moper

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice