1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Failing to Load - Insufficient System Resources Exist

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Szymek, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Szymek

Szymek Thread Starter

The problem I'm having is this:

When I startup Windows XP I get the following message:

"Windows cannot create a temporary profile directory. This may be caused by insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator"

DETAIL: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested sequence.

If I click on OK, I get the next screen:

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system"

DETAIL: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm the only one who uses the PC, so there is no network admin. The other day what I did was I was looking for ways to speed up the PC and found these 'tweaks' and now my pc doesn't get to Windows at all.

I've tried safe mode, tried getting to system recovery, but it never works, as the same thing happens. I got into the Windows XP Recovery Console and changed a few services to make them start on bootup..but that hasn't fixed it. At one point it did look like it was going to boot up but then it just pretty much stayed at a black screen.

Anyway, I was really hoping I could get some help. It's definitely not a hardware problem as I know what caused it, it's just a matter of how the heck I can get into at least system recovery to undo all this.

Thanks in advance.

2. unbidden

unbidden

Sounds like it's time for an inplace install (repair).

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you have a pc that has a 'recovery cd', the above option may not be available to you. Some recovery cd's don't allow for a full wipe it clean and install.

3. Drew7997

Drew7997

4. Szymek

Szymek Thread Starter

The problem is I don't have an XP disc...it was installed already on the PC. I have recovery disks (but don't have access to them right now). There is also a partition that has the recovery data already on my PC, but I can't even use that as trying to do system recovery won't work either.

Another problem I've also run into was the registry, giving me an error of 0x80004005 - but I have no idea how to fix the registry from dos.

If maybe I could find out what the default services are supposed to run on startup I could fix this, as I can alter the services via the Recovery Console and I know that's likely a big reason for the problem, if not entirely.

5. unbidden

unbidden

If you can get to the Recovery Console again, run chkdsk /p (this will take a while to complete). If still no go, return to the RC and run fixboot.

A repair install still seems the way to go however.

6. Szymek

Szymek Thread Starter

I managed to fix the problem. I'm not sure what did it but it might have been the chkdsk /r I did and then I was able to get into Safe Mode and do a system restore. Thanks for the help :)

7. brokenrow

brokenrow

Hi Szymek,

I am getting exactly the same error msg when trying to start my wondows XP. I am unable to get into safe mode or to the system recovery console, can you please advise as to how you managed to get to the safe mode...pressing F8 is not doing anything at all.

The error msg I am getting is:

Windows cannot create a temporary profile directory. This may be caused by insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested sequence.

If I click on OK, I get the next screen:

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system"

DETAIL: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Thanks in advance.....

8. brokenrow

brokenrow

Finally managed to sort out the issue!!

Pressing F2 took me to the safe mode screen. My USB keyboard didn't work so bought a PS2 keyboard to select the 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt' option.

While booting in safe mode the startup got stuck while loading some agp***.sys file, after unsuccessfully trying to load a few times but with the same result, I pressed ESC and then ENTER while the startup was stuck at agp***.sys file. It worked!! The safe mode came up with the command prompt.

I entered 'control.exe' to bring up the control panel, I then restored the changes I had made to the memory usage (which had resulted in this error in the first place), saved, rebooted and windows loaded normally.

Thanks for everyones help. I found this website really useful for tips and hence am making sure that I update this post with the resolution to help others.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice