1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows fails to load due to missing HWFProt.sys driver

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by HMFProt, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HMFProt

HMFProt Thread Starter

I recently installed the program Super Utilities Pro to clean up my system a little bit. The next time I turned on my computer I received the following message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

File: \Windows\System32\Drivers\HWFProt.sys
    Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

From reading the following post I can tell that I need to uninstall Super Utilities Pro however, I am unable to get past this error message when windows boots up. I downloaded my copy of Windows Vista from my school and so I do not have a boot disk...the files are on the hard drive.

If someone can help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. myfavoritemartin

myfavoritemartin

Do you know if you have System Restore on? If so, simply roll back to the point that you installed the utility. Type SYSTEM RESTORE in the Start Search box to launch the utility.

3. HMFProt

HMFProt Thread Starter

Windows will not boot up, that is, I can't get to a place where I could use system restore or simply uninstall the program. Windows Boot Manager comes up when I turn on the computer and all I can get to is the boot menu, but even a safe boot will not work

4. myfavoritemartin

myfavoritemartin

Sorry, I missed that you can't boot. You say that safe boot won't work - does that mean you cannot boot into safe mode?

5. HMFProt

HMFProt Thread Starter

Yes that's correct. I cannot boot up even in safe mode. Windows boot manager wants me to insert the Windows Vista installation disc but I don't have one because I downloaded my copy of Vista Business from my University

6. myfavoritemartin

myfavoritemartin

Unfortunately, I think you're going to need a Vista boot disk to fix this problem. Can you perhaps borrow a disk?

7. HMFProt

HMFProt Thread Starter

I'm afraid that's my only option at this point, I just don't know anyone else who has windows vista right now. Thanks for your help anyway myfavoritemartin

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/629012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice