1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows fails to start - blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LuS1fer, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LuS1fer

LuS1fer Thread Starter

Can I start a bit vague here as I know nothing about computers.

I have a Mesh computer running Windows XP. I upgraded to Vista but ended up with a reformat and reinstalling XP clean and the computer was running fine.

For no reason at all (ie no changes were made), Windows suddenly wouldn't load and I got a blue screen with KERNEL-DATA-INPAGE-ERROR (or similar)

There was a bit of a delay as I took out the stock Seagate Barracuda 250Gb SATA and couldn't get hold of a replacement so replaced it with a Samsung Spinpoint F1 750Gb which it wouldn't auto-detect for love nor money. My neighbour claims my RAM is OK and the Samsung detected OK in his machine.

I therefore took out the Samsung and bought a new Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA drive and fitted that. The BIOS auto-detected it and I tried to install Windows. It allowed me to create a partition but then proclaimed it couldn't format the disk. I then got a blue screen with PAGE-FAULT-IN-NONPAGED-AREA which variously blamed the partmgr.sys file and the setupdd.sys file.

When you press Enter to continue it says <Setup disk not recognised> or something like that. Sorry to be vague but I'm having to try and remember this in work.

Now because the machine has had problems with two hard drives, I'm fairly sure it's not the HDD itself but much beyond that, I'm completely lost.

MESH support haven't really been much help and have recently sent me a BIOS update file which I am lothe to use because I'll probably screw the whole thing up and I think I need to resolve the problem before adding any variables...or maybe just buy a new computer.

Any pointers would be good. I have no technical knowledge I'm afraid and obviously no access to the internet from the machine itself. I have no boot disk either.

2. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    It could be a driver issue. What model mesh is it? and are you using f6 method to install XP

3. LuS1fer

LuS1fer Thread Starter

It's a Mesh Elite 6300GS Dual core (from memory) using an Asus P5B motherboard and 1024k RAM. I'm just using the stock disk provided by Mesh for Windows XP. Not sure what the F6 method is, sorry. :eek:

Would it be easier if I replaced the RAM just to eliminate it?

4. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    You could replace the RAM if you have any spare sticks but dont go and buy any just yet. The f6 method of installing is activated by pressing f6 when instructed to do when the install starts. You get 2 options as follows:- Press f6 to install third party drivers. and Press f2 to run ASR.
    This enables you to install any hard drive drivers if the system does not recognise your HDD.
    If you can write down the error codes/messages when you get home and the post them it may help

5. LuS1fer

LuS1fer Thread Starter

Ah I see. Pressing the F6 just prompts for a disk I don't have.

The Page-Fault-In-Non-Paged Area simply says the problem seems to be caused by the following file - setupdd.sys.

The error it gives on the other screen is Partmgr.sys Address F7AB94AB base at F7AB7000.

Probably doesn't help.:D

6. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    You need to download the Hard Drive Controller driver from Dell

7. LuS1fer

LuS1fer Thread Starter

Well thank you for your help but it looks like I've inundated Mesh with such sheer persistence that they're going to collect the base unit and repair it so woo-hoo for Mesh! They think it might be the motherboard as it's been getting a little erratic. Thanks for the input though!

8. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Cool! Hope all goes well!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice