1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows file menu

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by vette, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vette

vette Thread Starter

I'm running windows 98 and when I go to the file drop down menu and click on open, the files and folders in the open file box are not in alphabetical order. Is there a setting that can be changed so they stay in order every time the box is opened? This is not program specific.
    vette

2. Dan O

Dan O

I moved your thread as you had it posted in the wrong OS forum.

Try right click within the window and select Arrange/Name.

I think it should work. I am running XP right now so I cannot be 100% sure.

3. vette

vette Thread Starter

I can change the order in which the files appear, I can change the order to "by name", but they don't stay in that order the next time I open a file again. Just wondering if there is a way to change that to a default setting so it stays at in one order.
    vette

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. vette

vette Thread Starter

Thanks for the information Dan O. I'll give that a try and see if that solves the problem.
    vette

6. Kento

Kento

This should fix it:

-Right-click Start, click Explore, and then click drive C.

-On the View menu, click Details.

-Click the Name column to sort items by name, press and hold down the CTRL key, and then quit Windows Explorer by clicking Close in the upper-right corner of the screen.

-Release the CTRL key.

-Restart your computer.

NOTE: You must perform these steps exactly as they are listed. For example, do not quit Windows Explorer by clicking Exit on the File menu.

7. vette

vette Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give this a try. Can I assume that this would work the same with windows 2000?
    vette

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice