1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Firewall, cannot start ICS service

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by invain, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invain

invain Thread Starter

I'm sure this problem has been addressed before. After service pack 2 for xp, our windows firewall stopped working. When you try to access it in the control panel, it says that it is unable to open because the service is not running. I click yes to turn it on, and it says that the ICS service could not be started.

I tried fixing it a couple months ago, goofed around with winsock and tried a couple other things, couldn't get it to work so I gave up and downloaded zone alarm.

I just remembered about it the other day, and while being bored, I wanted to try and get it working again, even if I don't need to use it, I still like everything running correctly.

Any suggestions?

2. unbidden

unbidden

Try the following:

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services...

Scroll down to Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing, double click the entry. You should now see the properties box for ICS; in the drop-down box next to 'Startup type' be sure that Automatic is the chosen option, click Apply, close everything out and re-boot - now check to see if your firewall is available.

If that doesn't work, you may need to run an inplace install (Repair). If this is the case then follow These instructions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/408593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice