1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Firewall Cannot Turn On

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pilotbob, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pilotbob

pilotbob Thread Starter

Just installed SP2 from the MS CD onto a laptop with XP home and the Firewall will not turn on. After clicking the "Security Centre" icon the message says "Windows security centre could not turn on windows firewall, to try turning on the firewall yourself go to windows firewall in control panel, in the windows firewall general tab select on (recomended) and click ok. However when I do this I get a further massage saying "Due to an unidentified problem windows cannot display windows firewall setting".

As usual very unhelpfull windows messages:eek: :mad: but what could be wrong and how can I fix it?

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

The Windows Firewall Service not started.

Now to fix:

1. Click Start > Run > Type services.msc
    2. Scroll down to Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    3. Double click it.
    4. Change startup type to Automatic and Click Start.
    5. Click Apply and then OK
    6. Reboot.

3. pilotbob

pilotbob Thread Starter

Thanks for the responce, however when I do the above I get the message "MMC cannot open the file services.msc"
    I have checked the system32 folder and the file is present, where to now?

Bob.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

There are situations where-in you need to reset your Windows Firewall settings, after removing a Trojan etc. Resetting the Windows Firewall sets the configuration to factory defaults by removing all the programs / port / exceptions settings.
    To reset the Windows Firewall to the factory default state, try this:
    Type firewall.cpl in Start, Run dialog.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Click the Restore Defaults button.
    Click Yes to continue when you see this dialog
    Restoring the default settings will delete all settings of Windows Firewall that you have made since Windows was installed. This may cause some programs to stop working.

Do you want to continue?
    The Windows Firewall is now turned ON, and set to factory default state.
    Alternately, you can use the NETSH command-line to accomplish this:
    Open a Command Prompt window and type NETSH FIREWALL RESET
    This command resets firewall configuration to default. This provides the same functionality as the Restore Defaults button in the Windows Firewall interface.

5. pilotbob

pilotbob Thread Starter

The first part would not work, again windows couldn't open the firewall settings, after doing the second option the reply in the command prompt window was "The specified service does not exist as an installed service"

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Give thisa a try

"Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings" error while accessing Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    When you open Services.msc applet, the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service may not be available in the listing
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

7. pilotbob

pilotbob Thread Starter

Many thanks, I now have access to the Firewall applet but the options to turn on or off are "greyed" out. It appears that this is being controlled by "Group policy" what does this mean?

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

In the other post try the netsh command that is in there and see if that works now. The group policy is an administrative thing.

The Windows Firewall is now turned ON, and set to factory default state.
    Alternately, you can use the NETSH command-line to accomplish this:
    Open a Command Prompt window and type NETSH FIREWALL RESET
    This command resets firewall configuration to default. This provides the same functionality as the Restore Defaults button in the Windows Firewall interface.

9. pilotbob

pilotbob Thread Starter

The firewall is still not on and the options are still "greyed out" does this mean this is being controlled by this "Group policy" thing?

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try this

Right click on My Computer
    Left click pn Manage
    Left click the plus next to Sevices and Applications
    Left click Services
    In the right window scroll down to Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    Double left click to open Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Startup type should be automatic but you may have to click Start under Service Status and then set the startup type to automatic

11. pilotbob

pilotbob Thread Starter

When I click on "Manage" I get an error message, MMC cannot open the file..........

This looks to be the root of the problem, yes?

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

13. pilotbob

pilotbob Thread Starter

Thanks to Rollin Rog, I think I am now getting somewhere, the firewall is now on, (hooray) but,........now when I try to start internet explorer i get an error message as follows;

cannot find 'file: c:///:/secure32.html"...........................

What have I done now?

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That is a "Security" issue; post a HijackThis scanlog; it may or may not be an easy fix.

If it is, I'll handle it here; if not, we'll just mark this thread Solved and have you post a scanlog in the Security forum for the new problem.

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

15. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Thnks Rollin' Rog this was a very useful post you made and has been added to my ldatabase. I am sure glad you are here.

ozrom1e

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice