1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Firewall/ICS Service Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by neonclear, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neonclear

neonclear Thread Starter

Help! I cannot turn on my firewall on my Windows XP. When I click try to turn it on, I get the message, "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?"
    I clicked "Yes" and I get
    "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service." I have tried starting it manually, but I get the message,
    "Could not start the Windows Firewall/ Internet Connection Sharing service on Local Computer."
    "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."
    I have both ipnathlp.dll and ipnat.sys files on my computer.
    I already did the sfc /scannow and the cmd=> netsh winsock reset and restarted the computer, but it did not fix it. I've tried the netsh Firewall reset, but no luck.
    I've done a full system scan and that did not correct the problem either. I cannot run system restore because it can't restore to any dates.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

The prime suspect for anything that turns off the firewall is malware so you need to scan with all your anti-malware utilities as soon as possible.

3. terrawarra

terrawarra

4. neonclear

neonclear Thread Starter

I scanned my computer with an anti-malware system and deleted the malware. I checked my system32 folder and ipnathlp.dll is still there. The firewall is still not turning on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice