1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Firewall is blocking access to computers on my home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sant_moral, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sant_moral

sant_moral Thread Starter

Hello,

I have in my house a small network consisting of two computers, a Desktop and a Laptop. The desktop is connected directly to a Cable modem. I also have a Wireless-G access point connected to the modem, and through this i can connect my laptop to the Internet.

I have both computers setup in a workgroup, sharing files between them.

Both computers are running Windows XP Home with service pack 2. As far as i can see the Firewall configurations are the same in both computers. I have enabled the UPnP framework and it worked fine for a while. However when i turned off both computers for the first time after setting up the network, and turned them back on, the Firewall on the desktop began blocking the laptop, so it couldnt recognize it as part of the workgroup, thus the network stopped working.

From the desktop i can access the laptop without any problems. However, from the laptop i cant access the desktop. I get a message saying:

"An error occurred while reconnecting to W: to (mapped drive from desktop name) Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored"

If I turn off the firewall the network connections work perfectly, however i can't seem to get it to work with the firewall and i really don't like the idea of having the firewall turned off.

I really don't know what to try next, so I would appreciate it very much if someone could help me out with this.

Thank you

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I hate to suggest the obvious, but why not invest in a $30 wireless router? It'll solve this problem and a whole lot more. :)

3. sant_moral

sant_moral Thread Starter

JohnWill

I' ve thought about it, however i i think that there must be a way to solve this problem without spending more money. I spent quite a bit on my wireless access point and really don't want to spend more.

Also since my network only uses 2 computers, my current setup is more than enough, and I don't think that investing on more hardware is the best solution. I'd like to stick with a software based solution.

Finally, with my old desktop computer the network worked fine, so there must be a way to make it work with my current one.

Thanx for the tip though

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/562459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice