1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Firewall or Zonealarm on Vista

Discussion in 'General Security' started by joemoshi, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joemoshi

joemoshi Thread Starter

I recently puchased a new computer with Vista. It has windows firewall. I can also install Zone alarm firewall. Which one is better or should I have both firewalls on?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I am using Vista own firewall, enabled outbound blocking and added rules to allow IE and a few other processes to reach the outside world. I think Zonealarm will be easier to configure.

3. joemoshi

joemoshi Thread Starter

I am also using the Vista own (windows) firewall as well as Norton Internet Security which was provided free for a period of 2 months. However I do not want to subscribe to Norton and that is why I am thinking of replacing the Norton with Zone alarm firewall.

Is it a good idea to have both the Vista and Zone alarm firewalls on at the same time? If not, then which one should I have on?

4. golferbob

golferbob

5. Gizzy

Gizzy

I haven't tried either firewall so I'm not sure which one is better but you should never run 2 firewalls at the same time,

are you talking about the paid or free version of zonealarm?

6. joemoshi

joemoshi Thread Starter

The free version of Zonealarm.

7. Stingray10

Stingray10

Just be cautious running the new version of ZA free because it has the programs of the suite hidden underneath.:)

8. joemoshi

joemoshi Thread Starter

Stingray10 Can you be more explicit please. How do I go about being cautious? What can happen and what procedure should I follow? Thanks.

9. Stingray10

Stingray10

All ZASS is in the free download,like the Kaspersky antivirus.You might have a problem with the antivirus your going to run.This is why it's download is large.This is your decision to make but if i was going for a firewall I'd choose Comodo or Online Armor free.;)

10. Stingray10

Stingray10

I'm sorry about mentioning Online Armor Free it's not compatible with Vista!:eek:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice