1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Firewall Problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Vigilantiast, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vigilantiast

Vigilantiast Thread Starter

Hi, This is my first post on the site. I've used this site quite a bit unregistered as I've usually found solutions through searching.
    My windows firewall has been dead for sometime now and I haven't been able to fix it.
    To start. If I go to the Control Panel Action center is states that my Firewall is turned off. When I click the button to turn it on I get an error message saying "Action Center can't turn on Windows Firewall. Turn on Windows Firewall manually" I click the link to do so manually which take me to the control panels windows firewall page.

On this page there is a box with a red vertical line on the left side with some text saying "Update your Firewall settings. Windows Firewall is not using the recommended settings to protect your computer." Next to this there is a button for "Use recommended settings". Clicking this brings this error message "Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x80070003"

Some google searches and solutions on this site later I am follow guides on using the Services application. Checking that Windows Firewall, Base Filtering Engine and Windows Firewall Authorization driver (I think is the name) are running.

Windows Firewall and Base Filtering Engine are both on Automatic but Windows Firewall is not running.
    Windows Firewall Authorization Driver is not present on the list but it does appear on the Devices application as running correctly.

When I try to start Windows Firewall from the Services window I get this error "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall service on Local Computer. Error3: The system cannot find the path specified."

One other thing. When I use the Event Viewer for the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security it has logged an error "The Windows Firewall with Advance Security snap-in failed to load. Restart the Windows Firewall service on the computer that you are managing. Error code: 0x6D9"

This is on a Windows 7 Professional Machine. The other PC on my Network does not seem to be affected. Also one of the reasons I'm desperate to fix this rather than get a new firewall is because I was led onto this problem when trying to reconnect my Xbox to my PC for Media Sharing which stopped working around the same time as the Firewall did. My Xbox can detect other devices on my Network but not this computer.

I would very much appreciate some help, Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you changed any file or folder permissions on your machine?

If you have made any changes to services or the registry, or used any registry cleaners or system "optimizers", reverse the damage that they did.

If not, I suspect that you are infected and a trojan may be disabling the firewall in order to allow itself to communicate with its host.

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    fwiw. If you are running, as stated, on a network with another computer, I would presume you are using a router? Routers have built in firewalls, which are "On" by default.
    My default is to use my router Firewall and on a reinstallation or whatever, turn off the Windows firewall. You can also turn off the message in the action centre (Which I have also disabled!)
    Multi firewalls do not normally conflict, but can cause a slow down of your internet useage.

4. Vigilantiast

I think I have shot myself in the foot a bit with this problem by leaving it so long before asking for help. I'm pretty sure I didn't change any file permissions but then again I can't be certain. Which ones could affect this. Also, I do have Anti-virus (Avast!) and Anti Spyware (Ad-Aware). And I have in the past run registry cleaners but never did any thorough cleans. If there anything you could advise with this new information? To be honest I wouldn't mind doing a clean install of Windows but I lost my CD (a.k.a it was stolen by an ex house mate) which also had the CD key printed with it.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

6. mvirata

mvirata

You can actually go back check your firewall logs. Right click Computer and click manage > expand System Tools > Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Firewall with Advanced Security > Firewall

You might get some good information there.

7. Vigilantiast

I may have to do what you suggested Phantom. Although I'm not sure I can warrant the purchase for the full edition when I'm using it to get 1 code which I can write down and save.
    mvirata, I tried doing what you suggested. The logs show that the last Windows Firewall log was made on the 12/09/2011 at 14:28:52 which is:
    "A Windows Firewall setting has changed.

New Setting:
    Type: Current Profile
    Value: Private
    Modifying User: NT SERVICE\MpsSvc
    Modifying Application: "

And at the exact same time:
    "Network profile changed on an interface.

Adapter GUID: {14c5fd27-74c6-4cc8-9b3f-050876286d91}
    Adapter Name: ethernet_6
    Old Profile: None
    New Profile: Private"

Logs like this happened a few times that day at different times. And it seems quite normal when compared to the rest of the logs over the year.

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Purchase what edition? The program is free.

As for Windows 7, borrow a friend's copy.

9. Vigilantiast

Yeh I thought by looking on the Features grid of the magical jelly bean site it says "Recover serials for Windows 7 and Office 2010" half way down it has an X under jelly bean and a tick under Recover Keys. Installed the program anyway and have my CD Key now. Thanks.
    Unless there's anything else I can do to try and fix the firewall I shall try to acquire another CD.

10. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I don't think it will help 100% to reveal your key. If your "friend" has stolen your DVD, with the key, and used it, a chance random search by MS will put your installation out of activation.
    It is none of my concern how much of a "friend" he may be, but I would be up front and phone Ms and explain. You need not worry about any lega back lash. They will merely deactivate the key and give you another.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice