1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Firewall will not start

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by CloudTitus, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloudTitus

CloudTitus Thread Starter

Mar 3, 2009
    I have Windows Vista and I can't get my windows firewall back on. If I click on 'Turn Windows Firewall on or off' I get this message "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall service? And if I click on Yes I get this message "Windows Cannot start the Windows Firewall service.
    I've try going to Control Panel then to Administration Tools and then to Services. I then right clicked on Windows Firewall and went to Properties to the tap Dependencies. Windows Firewall needs Windows Firewall Authorization Driver and Base Filtering Engine. Base Filtering Engine needs Remote Procedure Call (RPC) witch needs DCOM Server Process Launcher. The RPC and DCOM and both started but the Base Filtering Engine isn't and when I try to start it I get this message "Windows could not start Base Filtering Engine service on Local Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified. This is all I know and I try everything I could think of please help me with this.

P.S. Is there anyway to find out if any firewalls are active on my Computer?
  2. TheOutcaste

Aug 7, 2007
    Did you recently install a different firewall, then uninstall it? A system Restore to before you installed the other might do the trick.

Check that the BFE.DLL file is present in %systemroot%\System32 (normally C:\Windows\System32)

You can try running sfc /scannow from an Admin Command Prompt to replace it if missing, and to check for other damaged/corrupt files:
    Click Start, type cmd in the Search box
    Right click cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator
    Continue/enter credentials on the UAC prompt
    when the command window opens, type
    sfc /scannow

Let the scan finish and see if that will resolve the issue.

Afraid I haven't found much on the web other than System Restore or a repair install to fix this.

3. Joanyoung

Jun 18, 2004
    Click Start, type Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
    netsh Winsock reset
    reboot the computer

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/806126