1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows firewall won't start windows 7

Discussion in 'General Security' started by mollymatilda, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mollymatilda

mollymatilda Thread Starter

I bought a new laptop acer 7736ZG in December 09, everything worked fine to begin with, but one morning turned on my pc and got the message that windows firewall is not turned on, anyway after exploring different things i ended up reinstalling windows 7. again everything worked fine until a couple of days ago when once again i got the message that windows firewall is not turned on, i tried turning it on but got the message that action center can't turn on windows firewall. i then tried to turn it on manually. next message tells me that windows firewall is not using the recommended settings, i then click on use recommend settings and the only thing that happens is the (what was before) hour glass spins for a few seconds and stops, nothing else. would greatly appreciate your help

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Is the service for the windows 7 firewall started and set to automatic?Control panel/administrative tools/services/windows firewall then properties.

3. mollymatilda

went to control panel/administrative tools/services/windows firewall with advanced security double clicked that and received this message "their was an error opening the windows firewall with advanced security snap in. The windows firewall with advanced security snap in failed to load. Restart the windows firewall service on the computer that you are managing. Error code 0x6d9" When i right clicked it and opened up the properties but there was only property details of the shortcut no mention about service being set to automatic

4. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

You sure your looking at the services icon(2 gear wheels)where all the computer services are,scrolled down to windows firewall and right clicked.If so there must be more issues involved.You could of course always ignore it and install something like this zone alarm free.Some would say its better than windows 7 firewall as it has outbound protection without making separate rules.http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm/3000-10435_4-10039884.html?part=dl-69168&subj=dl&tag=button .I wish you all the best

5. mollymatilda

sorry, my mistake. i found the right place and windows firewall is set to automatic. i'd prefer not to install another firewall because the last time i did (comondo) it completely messed up my internet connection and i had to reinstall windows 7. also have had similar problems with zone alarm on another pc so i'd prefer it if i could fix this problem

6. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Is the service started?

7. mollymatilda

no, when i try to start it i get this message "windows could not start the windows firewall on local computer. for more information review the system event log. if this is a non microsoft service, contact the service vendor and refer to service specific error code 5." where do i go from here ?

8. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Well I don't know.Reading on other forums answers seem rare.I wish you the best of luck

9. chris660

chris660

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/907759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice