1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Folder

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by P.Watson, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. P.Watson

P.Watson Thread Starter

Each time I start up my computer, the c:\windows folder is open on my desktop!! This never used to happen. Can anyone advise how to stop it opening on startup?????
    :confused:

2. P.Watson

P.Watson Thread Starter

Anybody any ideas - Do I need to delete something from my startup menu in msconfig??

This has only started happening recently - since I had to reformat my hard drive.

3. Del

Del

I would go to msconfig and startup and make sure explorer is not listed, the easiest and fastest fix is to uncheck it and you're done.

4. P.Watson

P.Watson Thread Starter

No Explorer listed in startup
    Checked Items are

Windows MGM
    Scan REsgistry
    Task monitor
    OEM cleanup
    System tray
    Load Power profile
    Load QM
    Still Image monitor
    Adaptec DirectCD
    Windows MGM ( again)
    Load Power Porfile ( again)
    Correct Connect
    description of shortcut c:\windows\applicationdata\microsoft\installer
    Epson Status Monitor 3
    run=

Im not sure why a couple of items are listed twice - is this normal???

Can you see anything in there that may cause the windos folder to open on my desktop after every startup?

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Start/run/msconfig/startup tab. Uncheck everything except:

Scanreg
    Task Monitor
    System Tray
    Both Load Power Profiles
    Still Image Monitor (if you have a scanner)

Does it boot correctly now?

6. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    If "description of shortcut c:\windows\applicationdata\microsoft\installer" is an item by itself in msconfig/startup, uncheck it.

Load powerprofile is correctly listed twice, To operate correctly, Windows runs it from the Run list and also the services list in the registry.

LoadQM is an unecessary part of MSN Messenger and can be safely unchecked.

7. P.Watson

P.Watson Thread Starter

Thanks guys - that worked fine No more windows folder on startup!!

The pc starts quicker also. Is it wise to visit this on a regualr basis and uncheck unnecessary boxes

8. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Glad to hear it works!

Lots of software will set itself up to load at system startup. This is an unecessary waste of system resources. My personal rule of thumb is: nothing starts with windows (except Anti-Virus software). If I want something to run, I turn it on when I need it and turn it off when I'm done with it. Most software will have an option to have it run or not at wywtem startup. If it doesn't but runs, then use msconfig/startup to turn it off.

Become familiar with your startup list. Other things can put themselves in there also, like spyware and virii. Notice anything new in there, then ask yourself where it came from. Become suspicious if you haven't installed any software.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice