1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows freezes during boot up...can only load safe mode.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StepsInSC, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

I attempted to install the new detonators 23.12 for my Geforce II GTS, but the install got messed up b/c it asked for files and I didn't realize at the time to locate the folder I unzipped them to. Anyways I ended up cancelling when it asked for every file and it "installed" them but of course it wasn't right...so I went back and tried to load the old 23.11 that I had installed. After they were loaded I rebooted when it prompted me to do so.

Ever since then my computer won't load windows. It will boot at the BIOS but then it goes to the windows 98 screen and freezes. I can run it in safe mode...and when I do and go to control panel>system>devices>display adaptors the picture next to geforce II gts has a red x over it. What the heck does this mean? The card is inserted correctly. I've tried to load drivers from safe mode but when I tried to load the 23.11 drivers it says the nvidia card doesn't exist on the system. And I've tried to load other drivers in safe mode but havn't had any success.

2. brianF

brianF

3. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

thanks...but i cant open the file at that site. Perhaps the link to detonator destroyer is down? Hopefully just temporarily. I've found some other sites that have it but they're links arn't working either.

4. brianF

brianF

email me, I will send it to you, it's only 126K

With all the sites going down it's hard to find good downloads anymore.

hit my profile button, use the email link

5. brianF

brianF

You have mail

6. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

Okay well I didn't think of this earlier, but I ran DD and it didn't help...I still had to load in safe mode. So I tried just remvoing the device from device manager and now its loading up, and I'm going to attempt to install the new drivers one more time. Thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice