1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows freezes on start up

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by buffoon, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buffoon

buffoon Thread Starter

bought a new computer (Dell) couple of months back with Windows XP professional pre-installed. Worked fine.
    On starting up this morning, it loaded but then Windows freezes. Icons on the desktop appear but are inaccessible, taskbar reads blank.
    tried rebooting from CD and repair and get as far as "windows repair" but then asked for administrator password. Of all the passwords I use, none fits. I cannot remember actually having installed a password or changing
    any one that might have come with it.
    Any suggestions? Thanks

2. buffoon

buffoon Thread Starter

could get into task manager and log out. took me back to screen with "user log in window" where I logged in. Windows came up and all ok.
    Got message of serious error having occurred but now solved and ticked the option of sending it to MS

3. buffoon

buffoon Thread Starter

marked this as "unsolved" again. I can get around the problem by, after windows freezes in start up (load only some of the desktop icons and then stops), by going into task manager with Alt+delete, tick user and log off to save settings. Then it goes back to screen with the log on window comes up (user and adminsitrator and guest). When I log on as user/administrator everyting loads back to normal. It's annoying to have to go thru these steps, which I didn't have to do before (just switched PC on and everyting loaded). Only thing different to before is that I downloaded and installed a trial period free version of Corel draw, which I used fine. The problem did not occur immediately after installation of Corel, but some days later.

4. 1stoptek

1stoptek

My guess would tell me that a startup program is misbehaving or incompatible with your computer. I would boot into safe mode with networking (by hitting F8 while booting up the computer) and then go to START, the RUN, then type in MSCONFIG and hit Enter. Under the startup tab, you can disable any unnecessary startup programs, but make sure that you don't disable anything that you don't know what it is. You may have to do this one at a time to figure out which program is the culprit.

If your computer works ok while in safe mode with networking, then you can download CCleaner (which is free) and use its tools to turn disable startup programs. You may also need to update a driver i.e. video driver.

I also highly recommend running the registry fixing section of CCleaner to make sure it isn't as simple as a registry error.

Also, update the Corel program if they have any updates available just in case.

Hope this helps!

5. razorhp

razorhp

I also have the exact same problem...my pc boots up successfully but in the desktop, only few apps load in the start up and then mouse pointer gets stuck...when trying to move the mouse pointer hear a beep from system speaker.

So I tried booting in safe mode...and it was successful..i didn't notice any problem in safe mode..then i disabled all the startup programs using Advanced system care3...I finally was able use my computer in full mode....but unfortunately problem still exists...i have to go in to the safemode and disable startup programs each and every time i want to use windows in full mode. Im still trying to identify specifically which program cases the problem.. and guys i need your help!!!!!

note -- repairing of windows was not helpful...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice