Windows Freezing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Silverulric

I am having problems with Windows freezing when connecting to the internet. My Machine is an older machine that was purchased from a local computer shop, which pretty much makes it custom built. It Runs a Pentium 3

Here are specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-6VEML
BIOS: Award F8 with all flashes
Chipset: Via PLE-133T
Socket: 370 universal Coppermine/Tualatin
CPU: Intel Pentium III 866 MHz
RAM: 512MB PC-133 Non-ECC Unbuffered
Hard drive: Maxtor 80 GB, don't know model
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce MX 400 64MB
Modem: Tried 2 US Robotics 56K & Realtek 28.8k (Came with the RealTek)
1 PCI Expansion 1 Belkin 5 port USB PCI card(tried removing didn't fix)

I have installed the via 4 in one drive for my motherboard the latest one from gigabyte, I have also installed the latest Nvidia drivers, this didn't help

When ever you try to connect to the Internet via dial up(doesn't have high speed) it freezes within 10 min, total lock up, hit numlock on keyboard and the light stays on, ALT+CTRL+DELETE does nothing. You don't have to use a browser, just connect.

My ISP is People PC , I have never use them before so I am not sure how good they are, hey have a smart dialer but it doesn't matter if you use it, or dial up direct, still freezes, Tried loading the fail safe BIOS settings , no luck.

I don't think that it is a heat issue, the power supply has a built in fan. The box has two, one in front and one twards the back, not counts the CPU fan.

This is Driving me Crazy, Please Help!

What modem do you have and have you tried a different modem driver?

Try disabling the IPv6 helper service before connecting.

Silverulric

I forgot to mention that part.
I have tried two different modems, it came with a Realtek 56k modem, and the first thing i thought was that it was a problem with the modem, so i tried a US Robotics modem, uninstalled original driver and installed the Us robotics modem driver. No go, same problem. As for your suggestion about the IPv6 helper, I don't know much about that, All I know is that you need to go through the Command Line to access it, I would be willing to try that but I need a little help doing that.

Not sure of the exact name in XP, but it may be "IPv6 Helper Service". Go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services. Find that service and turn it off or double-click and disable it. See if that helps.

Silverulric

Thanks for the suggestion, this did seem to help. But it still freezes. This seemed to increase the amount of time that it takes to freeze though, I was able to connect for about 30 mins. But with a modem thats still not long enough to do much. Do you know anything else that might be affecting it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online