1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows genuine may be counterfeit

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Xiapan, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xiapan

Xiapan Thread Starter

Apologies in advance for being computer stupid.The Windows update shield exclamation point logo prompted an update, I clicked on it, and got the Genuine Advantage counterfeit message. I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop from Best Buy, new in the box, for $1300.

How can the pre-installed operating system be counterfeit? Toshiba pleads ignorance, Best Buy says call the store of purchase, and the store says call Toshiba.

Can I fix the problem without erasing everything on my computer which I don't know how to do anyway?

And is it really a problem or an insidious Microsoft marketing effort?

And if it's true, how can Toshiba avoid responsibility?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When mfg install the os on a system, they very often use VLK [volume licence key] These have been added to the blacklist by ms. Toshiba is the mfg, however best buy sold the system. They are responsible for getting you a valid key.

Yes, you can just update the install key and it will be good to go.

Go to the store and ask to speak with the manager. Be polite, however be firm. They sold this to you and THEY need to fix the problem.

3. wacor

wacor Banned

Definately dont let Best Buy jerk you around on this.

if it is less than 10-15 days old they would have to take it back anyway

It is their problem and Toshibas to figure out together

4. Xiapan

Xiapan Thread Starter

Thanks. How do I "update an install key"?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

6. rugrats-r-us

rugrats-r-us

I'm having a similar problem. I've had my computer for a few years now and just yesterday received this same message.

What's up with this???

7. KeyesZX

KeyesZX

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

You should have a COA on a sticker on the side of the tower, bottom of a laptop . .

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Nice to try this stuff, what has happened is actually the OS is not authentic. The store keeps messing with you. Simple just get in touch with this and explain.

Microsoft did introduce a program where they would replace a pirated copy of XP if it was unknowingly acquired and you will find the details of that offer at this link. I think the best thing for the member to do is to contact Microsoft and they may be able to help the member out.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-25WGA1PR.mspx

Run this and make a paper copy of it thru a word processor

Please download this from Microsoft and run it on your computer
    Filename = WGADiag2.exe
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
    Press "Copy to clipboard" and post the results here

Take this copy to the store and tell them if they do not make good you are going to do something legal.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/472706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice