1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows gets stuck on black screen @ startup

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by karl_stade, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karl_stade

karl_stade Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have recently (since today) had an issue with my PC.

I came home after uni today, pressed the power button on my PC, it started up normal, showed the mobo splash screen etc... yet when it got to the stage of loading Windows (Vista) it just got stuck on the black screen that normally appears about 1 second before the "loading windows" status bar comes up. It just got stuck there on that black screen for over 10 minutes until I hard reset the PC. Then it gave me an error screen saying Windows hadn't been shut-down correctly and if I wanted to load it into safe mode etc. I just chose the normal mode and then it loaded Windows fine.

I then shut down the PC.

Later that day around 7pm I powered on the system again, and the same thing happened again. The only way I could get it working was to hard reset it and then it would boot after selecting "start normally".

So I have tried:

-Performing a Windows repair from the O/S disk, the repair program couldn't find any problems though, and consequently didn't repair anything.

-Restoring to yesterday before I have had issues.

What I need to know is if anyone else has had this problem before, or has heard of it, and possibly if there is a solution? I have tried searches, but I don't have a keyword/error code specific enough to find any real answers.

Could it be hardware or software related? Or both?

The last thing I have installed was an Epson printer on the 4th, but I haven't had issues until today (the 7th). I installed it correctly, as far as I know, with Vista compatible drivers...

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice