1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows gives blue screen of death trying to start in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pejb, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pejb

pejb Thread Starter

I recently got the winhost.exe virus on my laptop. Booting to windows was working fine it loads into windows and ran fine except some programs were running slow. But this virus has disabled my virus protection programs and does not allow me to run any .exe files saying that "the file is not a valid win32 file". It prohibits or does not allow me to go to a different restore point and most importantly run in safe mode. I get a blue screen of death saying the computer has an error, virus or hard drive problem and shuts down when I tried to run in safe mode using the <f8> key.

In order to run in safemode some other technitian told me to 1) go run prompt 2) type msconfig 3) select the middle tab on top 4)check on safe boot box 5) click apply 6) restart. Hoping this would bypass the virus and go into safemode this is what I did.

Now I can not start the computer because every time it loads windows the system wants to go into safemode which the virus will not allow.

Please help me reconfig my windows so it starts again.

I have tried all the options on the boot option screen when pressing <f8> and none worked. Is there a way to load windows again without reinstalling?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Do you have the recovery disk set for this Dell computer?

3. pejb

pejb Thread Starter

if you mean the 2 discs that dell gave with my laptop yes one is the windows cd and one is the sp2 pack plus some other softwares.

I did try to run the windows disc they gave. SO I had cmoss read from my dvd player first which it does.

it takes me though to the comand prompt d:

i did a dir search and found a folder called install but I was afarid to run it.

any advice?

Is it possible to create a boot disc to bypass and start in wiondows. I hope I didnt really screw myself with this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/687843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice