Windows goes to Blue screen when I try to load Add/Remove??? Help!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mmschon

-Not sure if this is where this questions belongs, sorry-

My problem, that I have been having for months...My computer at times would just randomly shut down, or when I tried to start it up, It would start to load, then reboot and go to the "blue screen of death". Anyways, that problems *Seems* to be gone for at least a month now.. Now the only problem left, that I just gave up on fixing is.. I cant go to add/remove programs...Everytime I click it.. My computer instantly Shuts off and goes to the blue screen and says being dump..blahdy blahdy blah. Well, I figure there is some sort of nasty virus or something. But that is my only problem. (even after deleting and reinstalling windows on C). I didnt reinstall the D drive, but never touch it, so dont think its the problem.. I really would like to get into add/remove... Why or what could be causing my computer to restart when trying to load add/remove.... Its windows XP btw...If you need to know anything else just ask! Thanks!:D

techkid

David
When it does this again, take notes of the error codes produced (including any drivers or programs being referenced).

Also, if you can, copy the memory dump files produced (you can find them in C:\Windows\Minidump)

mmschon

It happens everytime I try to go to add or remove.. And each and every time there is nothing in the minidump folder. :confused:

It does sound like it might be a virus. Have you run a virus checker. If so what one, and what did you find. Run a couple just to be sure there is not virus.
Otherwise I would suspect you might have a memory issue. If it was memory you would BSOD more than just when you go to add remove pgms.

mmschon

Ive ran numerous Virus Checks, nothing.. I just downloaded CCleaner and the cleaner worked great.. But I tried to do the Registry fix part of it, but once again the computer shut off and went to the Blue screen.. This time it saved a dmp file.. Im not very fimiliar with reading dump files.. It says at the bottom that it is a ntoskrnl.exe problem.. I have no idea what it is caused from though. I looked up causes and found this
Cause:

1. Keyboard issue
  2. Miscellaneous corruption
  3. Corrupt boot.ini file.
  4. Missing boot.ini file.
  5. Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file.
  6. Windows NT installed on a partition bigger then 7.8GB
  7. Corrupted hard disk drive or severely corrupted Windows.

How would I know which one caused it? Thanks!

seo

This is a sign of corrupt windows registry. Over prolonged usage, the PC's registry gets cluttered. You cannot do add/remove programs.

So to make the windows run without any errors, you need to download a registry cleaner software and fix all the registry problems.

mmschon

Thats the thing, It wont let me do anything with the registry. Hmm seems like my only choice is a re-format. Yuck!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts