1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows hangs after ram upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ducati12, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ducati12

ducati12 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Precision 670 minitower running windows XP 64 bit. It came preinstalled with 4x 256 MB single rank ram which were in the first 4 DIMM slots. I recently bought two 512mb single rank ram (KTD-WS670).

Windows will freeze right after the windows splash screen and before the login screen when the following ram setup is used: DIMM1:512MB DIMM2:512MB DIMM3:256MB DIMM4:256MB DIMM5:256MB DIMM6:256MB. If i switch to safe mode, then windows will load completly. Bios shows all ram installed ok.All single rank, ECC.

Windows starts fine when i remove the DIMM5:256MB DIMM6:256MB and keep the rest.

Why do I have a problem when all six are installed, and not just the four? Is there a setting thats needs to be set in windows for it to work with 2 gigs of ram?

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice