Windows Hangs before icons or start menu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

1966corvette

I actually have two problems and in trying to fix one I created the second.
I have a Win 98 SE with dial-up 56K modem.
I had been applying fix after fix to my original problem:
Windows loads properly and works correctly. I am able to reach either of my ISP's(earthlink and CWO) and get a welcome/speed return message.
When any browser is opened I get "Cannot display this page" and my messages say either 127.0.0.1 or res//C:\Windows\System\SHDOCLC.DLL/dnserror.html.
So I was unable to update my Norton Security Software which had expired, hence the problem. A catch 22.
I brought my laptop from work and looked in google for fixes. If it was a script I would download to laptop, scan for virus, put on disk, apply to Win98 and so on.
One of fixes was clearing dial-up networking componets, do not reboot,remove check mark from in front of Communicatons in Windows setup,do not reboot,run regedit and go to key HKEY_MACHINE\SYSTEM\currentcontrols\set\services and remove winsock and winsock2. Then reset Protocols. After doing the winsock removal and then rebooting is when the hang happens. Only wallpaper on screen. When control_alt_delete was applied the only things listed was Wmexe and Lexapps. No Rnaapp or systray.
I pressed F8 while booting up and chose the log start up. I answer Yes to each question and an error message appeared after Yes was applied to C:\>c:\windows\net.
Invalid value for binding specified (twice). Error loading device driver NDISHLP.SYS and then Error7323: One or more network transport drivers failed to load. So I did it agan and said No to C:\>c:\windows\net. It did not change the outcome.
I would appreciate your help.

Your best option might be to try to restore your settings to a time BEFORE this problem happened; though that might not be possible now, it is certainly worth a try.

I've copied the following instructions directly from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Under normal circumstances, Windows is capable of detecting and recovering from registry errors automatically. If Windows is incapable of this, a previous copy of the registry can be restored manually. Windows makes and stores a backup of the registry when you start your computer successfully each day. By default, five previous copies or the registry are stored. To restore one of these previous copies:

1. Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu. If you are running Windows Me, start your computer with the startup disk.

2. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command, and then press ENTER. Where windows is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

3. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER.

4. Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.

5. When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do NOT try to restore the OLDEST version of the saved registries; for more information about why that will not work, read this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/245412

Good luck with this; it might NOT work, depending on the condition of your backup copies of the Registry, but it is worth a try. If this succeeds in restoring your system so Windows will boot again, you'll most likely have the same problems you've previously had, but at least the system will boot into Windows, and we should be able to guide you through the fixes you need to apply without "breaking" Windows again.

Post any questions you might have BEFORE you attempt this; if you have no questions, try to restore Windows by using a Registry backup, and let us know how this turns out.

1966corvette

Thank you so much for your time. I invited a friend over that is more familiar wth DOS.
He was able to get me back to Windows. I won't bother you with what he did as I was not present for all of it. I'm now back to the original problem.
I have loaded a Mozzila Browser and can get on the Internet via my office dial-up.
I have Earthlink as my personal ISP and it calls up an Internet Explorer Browser. I still have the same problem with IE and get the 127.0.0.1 and then "Cannot Display Screen" with res//C:\windows\system\SHDOCLC.DLL.dnserror.htm. I have cleared my HOSTS file. Any ideas?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts