1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Harddrive Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jushymaso222, Jun 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. jushymaso222

jushymaso222 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16267 Mb
    Graphics Card: 1060 Nvidia GTX
    Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (29 GB Free);
    Motherboard: KBL, Sienta_KLS
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I have a Seagate Firecuda 2TB drive as a secondary drive since the standard drive only holds 200 GB. I have never had a problem with the drive until recently. Some sort of program caused my computer to bluescreen, which was running on the drive, and then when the computer rebooted the harddrive was no longer in file explorer. I also checked in the partitioner and ran cmd commands all following up with nothing. The drive is making a similar noise to a drive with a read/write hand misplaced on the disk however, not constantly. I also couldn't find anything online on how to open the drive and, to avoid breaking it and losing all my data, decided not to tamper with it myself. Whenever i have fileexplorer open and i disconnect and reconnect the drive, windows explorer stops responding for a minute along with the computer. When it finally comes to, file explorer refreshes and the drive still isn't there even though I can hear the drive boot up. I don't know what's wrong but I have a lot music projects on this drive that I have been working on that I'm not ready to lose. Please if anyone can help, I need assistance.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If the drive is making an abnormal mechanical noise then it is a bad thing. If you have several hundred dollars you can get some companies to recover data off it. Hard drives fail - always do backups.

3. jushymaso222

But its the same abnormal noise that a drive would make if the read/write head was misplaced somewhere on the disk which can be simply reset by carefully going inside and fixing it. I don't want to rule that out first I just don't know how to open the drive safely... I was just hoping maybe it was a software issue and the drive was failing to comply to the computer which could be the result of the noise... I really hope I don't have to go to those lengths though...

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Nah, if the drive head ever rested on a disk to make a noise, it would have scratched it. Drive heads normally operate on a cushion of air and never touch the disk. I think you need a special 'clean room' to open up a drive, small dust particles could attach to the platter surface otherwise.

5. jushymaso222

Alright, thanks anyways... I don't have the money to get the files restored right now so for now, I've lost everything. Thanks for trying to help anyway, I appreciate the effort!

6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Click HERE for a video describing how to open and fix stuck head(s) on a hard drive.

Be forewarned that it is possible to COMPLETELY destroy the drive in this process. However, if you cannot afford to have it professionally recovered it may be an option.

However, I have done this several times and have never destroyed the drive. (Probably just dumb luck though :) )

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

8. jushymaso222

I'll take a look thanks!

9. phillpower2

phillpower2

If I may chime in with a question folks :)

jushymaso222

Is the HDD listed in the BIOS, a Seagate HDD for example will be listed something like ST1000DM004 and a Western Digital along the lines of WD10JPLX other brands will have similar identification codes, only when such an ID code is present is a HDD actually detected and an entry simply listed as SATA HDD means that the BIOS will and has looked for a HDD in that particular boot sequence but no HDD was detected.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice