1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows hardware detection problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sketch, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sketch

sketch Thread Starter

Hello, I found out about this site on Cnet Radio, so I thought I'd give it a try!
    I recently bought a new video card, an XPert 128 PCI. I have one of those motherboards with built-in AGP video. So I installed the card and the drivers and went into the BIOS to specify that I'm no longer using the built-in video, but now every single time I boot up Windows, it detects the card and asks me to install the drivers. How do I make it stop detecting the old video card? My system is an AMD 500 running Windows 2000 Professional. The motherboard in and old SiS board.

2. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

hye skech,
    Welcome to TSG!

IMHO, check the mobo's manual for a jumper to disable the on-board video.

Question: After installing the drivers, does it ask you to reboot? And did you delete the old drivers?

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi sketch, welcome from me as well........

It may be easier just to go into the control panel, system, device manager and place a check mark in the box marked 'disable in this hardware profile' for that display adapter.

4. sketch

sketch Thread Starter

AcaCandy, I couldn't find "disable in this hardware profile", but when I right click on the adapter it has a "disable" option, and when I open the properties for the adapter, under "device usage" there's another disable option. Are these it, or will these do the same as what you suggested? Thanks just the same.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try the one under device usage.....then you'll need to restart the computer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice