1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Windows has been shut down to prevent further damage"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by in need, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. in need

in need Thread Starter

I got this blue screen when i started my sytem headed by the following line
    "Windows has been shut down to prevent further damage"

And at the bottom there was sumthin called memory dumping

I rebooted n evrything was fine but Window washer detected a junk file, actually the ".dmp" file of around 500 MB

Can sum1 shed light on this incident n tell me the cause of this n methods of prevention?

2. psynaptic

psynaptic

When there is an error like this Windows creates a copy of all data in memory at the time. This way users can see what was in use at the time of the crash and hopefully track down their problem. You can check here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314084 if you really want to get your hands dirty. Although, If you have a working machine and you do not experience this again, why bother?

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The .dmp file should not have been that large if your options are configured correctly. Run sysdm.cpl and select > Advanced > Startup and recovery. Make sure "SMALL" memory dump (64 mb) is configured there and that the path location is %systemroot%\minidump

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last 2 or 3 minidump files to that folder. They are numbered by date.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select "Send to (folder name).zip"
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Windows Memory Diagnostic
    Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/493185