1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows has detected a device faliure.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Normal_crimi, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Normal_crimi

Normal_crimi Thread Starter

Each time I play a game for a while the game freezes for about 30 seconds then I am returned to my desktop and a message comes up and says Windows has detected a Device Faliure and all the colours of my desktop are screwed and it is 640x480. It keeps doing this and I don't know how to stop it, can someone please help me?

2. Rache

Rache Banned

Maybe your graphics card driver's got corrupt. Is it yellow in device manager?

3. Normal_crimi

4. Rache

Rache Banned

Ok.

R there any yellows, and what os?

5. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Please list the type mother board,System RAM amount,and any additional video adapter that may have been added to the machine.As well as the "System Requirements" for this game you are trying to play...

I suspect you are using a machine with on-board graphics,using shared memory,and the game requires more RAM than is available.

6. Normal_crimi

It's not only the game. It also happens anytime anywhere. It happens a bit rarely though. I have:
    256MB RAM
    64MB Geforce 2 MX400
    40GB or 37.2GB hard drive
    Windows XP Pro "even though I use it at home"

Also I downloaded Detonator Drivers a couple of months ago and then uninstalled them because it kept freezing my computer.

7. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

hmmm....,I'd say you were smart to ditch the after-market drivers.And that video card should run pretty well with the original nVidia ones...
    I still think it may be a resources issue,I'd watch them regularly to see how your system is utilizing the available RAM with common tasks.XP is still sort of a resource hog and you are only running at the "Recommended" level,which doesn't leave much room for much else.I wouldn't think twice about doubling that 256...,RAM is a cheap method of picking up the pace and fixing little issues.

8. Jack1000

Jack1000

Have you tried uninstalling the game? If this is a game that you could live without, you might try uninstalling the game.

It sounds like a video driver could have been corrupted during the installation of the game.

Questions,

1. Did any of the above issues happen before you installed the game?

2. Other than the above mentioned drivers, which you said that you had uninstalled, have you installed, reinstalled, or updated any hardware or software prior to this issue occuring?

3. I think you might have a corrupted video driver if it happens all the time. I am not an expert on this, but if you have your system recovery CD, you might want to first uninstall that game from "Add/Remove Programs" and see what that does. Restart your system, following the prompts.

4. If you still get the same problem, you might need to use your system CD recovery disk and reinstall your video drivers.

Hopefully, someone can help walk you through this process, because installing new drivers can be trickey!

Just for the record, can you tell us what the game is? The system requirments should be found on the box and in the instruction manual for the game. Please post that info if you have it.

Jack

9. greengeek

greengeek

If Windows sends up a message about a device failure then the first thing I'd do is try another video card (going by your description of the symptoms).

10. pronute

pronute

In Safe Mode uninstall the Detonator Drivers from add and remove programs and also all NVidia software, then reinstall the drivers that came with the video card, if the video cards drivers disk dose not include the XP drivers then download them from the video cards manufactures web sight. Even though NVidia makes the chipset, the video card manufacture makes the card and may have customized components your not aware of.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice