1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cephasara, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cephasara

cephasara Thread Starter

Well I have a MIDI keyboard instrument that was working on my Win7 x64 machine, with proper drivers, and then it just stopped. I get this error message "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Oddly it works on an XP machine I tried, while it fails on other Win7 and Vista machines I've tried. Could this device have gotten damaged? If so, is there any way to have it detected in Win7, considering it works in XP still?

If anyone is wondering it's a Yamaha ez-250i keyboard instrument.

Also, I used a 12 foot usb cord. I remember reading something about USB only being designed for 6 feet or so, could this have damaged the device? Thanks.

2. timmy1986

timmy1986 Banned

The USB is designed for 6 feet and only six feet.The yamaha ez-250i keyboard instrument is formatted for USA. and for windows xp.

3. cephasara

cephasara Thread Starter

Do you have a source you can give on "USB is designed for 6 feet and only six feet"? Just wondering. Why do companies even produce 12 feet long USB cables or 6 foot USB extension cables for that matter?

Yamaha has 64 bit Windows 7 drivers on their site for this exact keyboard.
    http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi..._lighted_fret_instruments/ez-250i/?mode=model
    Sorry I can't directly link it--it's under support if you click the link.

4. cephasara

cephasara Thread Starter

Well after reformatting my computer it has seemed to detect the MIDI keyboard correctly now. I'm wondering if this was brought about because I do not safely remove the USB device. If this is the case and the driver gets corrupt, how could I delete the driver, given windows detects the device as a malfunctioning USB device, still? Thanks.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The USB 2.0 and 3.0 specifications do not specify a maximum cable length directly. A USB cable may be any length so long as it meets all of the other requirements, with the most important being signal attenuation, timing, and voltage loss on the wires that carry power. The maximum length quoted from the USB FAQ is 5 meters.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice