1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Install problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bendmc, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bendmc

bendmc Thread Starter

This is my first post, so I hope I'm able to explain my situation well enough for someone to help.

As recently as about 2 months ago, I was able to install new software onto my laptop with no problems whatsoever (Microsoft's Age of Empires was the last one, I believe). Just this week, I have noticed that I can no longer install anything because of some Windows install problems that I have developed.

I have tried updating my virus scanning software and doing a deep scan over my machine and then shutting down all processes that are running in the background, etc before I try to install and it still won't work.

I am getting a number of different messages, depending on the software I try to install, but these are a couple of them:

1601: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

1607: Unable to Install InstallShield Scripting Runtime

The wizard was interrupted. Install Paradox 10 Runtime.

I saw some "fixes" listed in the InstallShield and Microsoft websites, but obviously, I can't install any programs designed to help me troubleshoot install errors because I'm having install errors!!

This problem is really killing my ability to get my work done since this laptop is my backup for my desktop, which is down with bigger problems than I would be able to fix, no matter how much help I got on this website.

HELP!

2. markomus

markomus

Just taking a few punches in the dark here: Try starting in Safe Mode and enter into the Administrator's account and see if you can install anything from there.

To get into Safe Mode: Usually start computer and gently tap F8 key upon boot up. This should bring a menu screen. Select Safe Mode (with nothing else)

3. bendmc

bendmc Thread Starter

Hola. This morning, I gave my installs another shot, just for the heck of it, and they worked!! I'm glad, but also puzzled. If it ever happens again, I'm no closer to an answer other than "try it again in the morning". *L*

4. Sithtiger

Sithtiger

You could also try system restore. MarKomus, I might be wrong but I think Windows Installer won't work in safe mode if I recall.

Bendmc, do you by any chance have Outpost Firewall installed? If you do, that's your problem. I have Outpost installed and would get the very same error messages plus some other ones. It was weird, sometimes it would let me install programs and other times it wouldn't. Once I uninstalled it, everything went back to normal. I had it installed on both Vista x86 and Vista x64 and it did it on both machines. At the time I was also dual booting and had XP installed on my x64 machine and it did it in XP too, so if you're running Outpost firewall, I'd get rid of it!

5. bendmc

bendmc Thread Starter

I don't have Outpost Firewall, so that wouldn't be it...

6. Sithtiger

Sithtiger

It was worth a shot but remember System Restore might help as well. I take it you scanned for viruses too. As long as it's working right now then I guess you're good.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice