1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjm, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjm

mjm Thread Starter

I have a 233mhz computer that I have for kids to use and I replaced the hard drive with a 10G for more space (nothing wrong with old HD). When I start up the computer it list the hard drive as a 8G and every time I try to install Windows 98 Windows does a scan disk and finds errors on both the hard disk and the ram disk windows start disk made. Windows then says that it can not install. I returned the hard drive and got a new one but it does the same thing. Do I have a hardware problem? I don't want to buy a lot of parts for this computer cause its my old computer.

2. plejon

plejon

Since you have an old computer, this is probably a BIOS limitation. I found the following in a FAQ, but there are many more sites on the web describing the problem.

<b>I am limited to 8 GB on my drive but it’s rated higher. </b>
    There is an 8.4 GB hard drive limitation on some traditional system BIOS. The following is required to access the full capacity of an 8.4 GB or larger hard drive:
    · A system BIOS that supports extended functions
    · An operating system that recognizes extended BIOS functions (95,98,NT 4.0 w/SP 3 or greater)
    In many cases the limiting factor is the BIOS which needs to be upgraded by your computer manufacturer. The HotData Shuttle software is not the limiting factor.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Use the floppy disk that should have come with the hard drive to set it up correctly. If your bios doesn't support the 10g drive, you'll be given the option to install the overlay program so it will.

What does it say on top of the windows installation cd that you are using?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice