1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Installation Not detecting my harddisk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mafaz_13, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mafaz_13

mafaz_13 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been trying to install windows XP Pro on my laptop, but the installation keeps prompting this message: hard disk not found, please check if the disk is correctly connected and powered.

I have been trying out Ubuntu (linux), and had to create a ext3 and a swap partition. Any idea why this is happening.

And when i use windows 98 second edition, the fdisk utility does not detect the full capacity. Plus, when i format or scandisk it cant fix all the errors. PLEASE HELP.

2. sreedharthelion

sreedharthelion

hi friend,
    its not only ur problem, i bought a new compaq presario v 6000, i am trying to install win XP sp2, its showing this same message: hard disk not found, please check if the disk is correctly connected and powered after we press enter for windows xp setup.
    if you find the ans pls msg me to [email protected]
    :(

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I just had this experience with an HP and it baffled me. It was a corrupted XP OS, messed up by Windows Updates I might add as I had it running ok prior to that after spyware and virus scans and then I got the same message when I used XP cd to repair. The only way out for me was HP Restore partition by tapping F11 at bootup, which may still be there for you,or sending for Compaq Restore Disks. I wasted hours trying to get the hard drive seen, and I knew it was not an F6 issue for early chipsets or a dead drive because it was just too new.

4. cracknel

cracknel

1 hour of googling and result:
    In BIOS you must switch SATA mode to Compatibile. Then all OS installations can see harddrive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice