1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WINDOWS INSTALLATION OVER PARALLEL LPT PORT

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chigga, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chigga

chigga Thread Starter

is there way to connect 2 pc's or a pc and laptop combo and install windows via one machine onto other via lan or any other external connectivity? cause that would be soo much easier to process rather than finding drivers for pcmcia cdroms and and wat not.. help!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Norton GHOST is your friend. :)

If you GHOST an image of a disk with the Win98 directory to the laptop over the LAN, you can then install Windows from the hard disk. Of course, you'd still have to have the drivers for the hardware somewhere on the disk to install them...

How many times are you going to install Windows on this laptop?

3. chigga

chigga Thread Starter

well the problem right now is that my laptop has been formatted... so it has no OS on it.. i'm tryin to reintall an OS but the driver wouldn't let me read m PCMCIA cd rom drive which is a big hassle.. so i assumed if there was anyway to bring on to the HD of the laptop a diff source besides a cd-rom ex. through lan or wat not.. it'll make the process a whole lot easier...

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

5. JohnWill

Thanks AcaCandy, I think I get it. :)

chigga, I suggest you remove the disk from the laptop, use one of the under $10 adapters to connect it to a desktop as a slave, and copy what you need to do the installation over that way.

6. ~Candy~

Can you link to an adapter john. There's a few threads around here where that could help :)

7. chigga

chigga Thread Starter

yeah some links would be helpful

8. JohnWill

Cruise over to Pricewatch and enter 2.5" adapter in the search field. The first three hits are the required adapter for $5 including shipping, so you can have two for the $10 I mentioned. :D

9. ~Candy~

John you do that so well, can you find me a 3V - 6V adapter that I can change the little pluggy things on....I have all the pluggy things, my adapter just died ;)

10. JohnWill

Mine is the Radio Shack model, they have adapters in all sizes. Sorry it's not $5, more like $20, but they're handy to have around. :D

Pluggy things? :rolleyes: :D

11. ~Candy~

Ya, that's where I got my last one...but I thought they should be found for $10?

What's wrong with pluggy :D

12. chigga

chigga Thread Starter

i still don't understand.. why am i gettin an adapter??

13. chigga

chigga Thread Starter

I GOT IT! someone should change this thread to WINDOWS INSTALLATION OVER PARALLEL LPT PORT my laptop is in the process of reviving! to mods i'm gonna start contributing to this forum.. alot of good ideas and experience from people who know wat to do.. i'm currently on 3 forums... www.howardforums.com for cellphones and www.cliesource.com for my clie... now i'd like to help out here! thanx again AcaCandy and johnwill!

14. ~Candy~

So did you buy the adapter :D

15. chigga

chigga Thread Starter

no i didn't... gonna reformat my desktop now and i'll be back with how i concluded my migration of files

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice