1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows installation probs

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by njf, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. njf

njf Thread Starter

Hello,

Having solved various hardware probs, I now have my new MB, HD and CPU working (AMD Duron 1.3Ghz).

For some reason I am nowing having probs installing Windows. I have tried 98, 98SE, ME and XP Pro and have the same or similar problem.

The files seem to install but when it comes to configuring (after the "restart" point), I have problems; usually about the time of entering user details, serial number and then it does the hardware search.

It usually results in the blue screen of death - sometimes with one error soon followed by another and the machine appearing to be going a bit 'gaga'. On other occassions I get something saying windows has locked up / protecting or something and I have to power off. Interestingly enough, I had similar probs with my last machine but it usually just froze with a blank screen.

I have tried several times including formatting etc but still no luck. The hardware is all brand new so surprises me this is happening.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Neil

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Are you using a full Windows Disk, or an OEM/Restore version?

3. njf

njf Thread Starter

Full disk. The ME is upgrade, but I have full 98 which it requests..

Don't know if it is of any significance, but I got the set of 6 XP boot/setup disks and got the message "Cannot load biosinfo.inf. Set cannot conitnue".

Thanks,
    Neil

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

OK, I was only asking that because a lot of people try to use a Quick Restore disk on another system, which wont usually work.

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

njf
    I am sure others more experienced will answer but heres a few suggestions.
    Disconnect or remove any extras not required for basic windows operation such as an Audio or Video card if Mother board has those supported.
    Note: Audio can be left out even if not supported by Motherboard then added back in later.
    Any CD Writers, Nic cards and all else not required. Try just leaving the basic support: "C" HD, Minimum Ram (one Module), Floppy, CD-Rom basic Video\Audio.
    Also scan the Motherboard site for possible problems and updates required.
    If Windows does install properly then you can start adding components back in. There are some Motherboards that require you to update Chipset before any major configuration is done. Intel has some boards like that.

Dave

6. njf

njf Thread Starter

Thanks Davey,

I have been trying with the bare minimum and the new MB does have onboard sound and gfx. I shall the memory card (1 x 256mb) in a diff slot as this may help.

What might / how would go about changing the MB configuration if this is needed for installation?

Thanks,
    Neil

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you can copy down the exact Blue Screen errors, that might help in diagnosis.

A "windows protection" message with a bare minimum of hardware would point to a ram problem or possibly the system is "overclocked", but if you didn't change anything on the motherboard or in the BIOS, it won't be that.

Inadequate cooling or heatsinking could also be an issue.

8. njf

njf Thread Starter

Thanks Rollin'

I did fry the original CPU as the fan I had was not powerful enough but I have replaced both fan and CPU and seems to be okay. I have also tried using different ram with no results.

I think I shall have to take it to the store where I got the parts. No doubt they will charge me for the privelage!

Screen errors include OE 0028:C0003D55 and VxD VMM (01)

Neil

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

VMM errors (Virtual Memory Manager) are almost always errors of stabilty or faulty ram, where the instability is most often heat related. AMD's from what I've seen are particularly sensitive to them.

I'm no hardware guru, believe me, but if not the fan I would suspect the heatsink is inadequate or not applied properly. Another possibilty is that the external cache on the motherboard is damaged. Look in the BIOS setup and see if there is an option to disable L2 (external cache). The L1 cache would be within the cpu itself, so presumaby if that was replaced it's ok. It's often possible to accomplish installs with L2 disabled, and then re-enable it, but you really shouldn't have to do that and I would expect you to have further problems when the processor is heavily driven.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice