1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Installations probs...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by njf, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. njf

njf Thread Starter

Hello,

Having solved various hardware probs, I now have my new MB, HD and CPU working (AMD Duron 1.3Ghz).

For some reason I am nowing having probs installing Windows. I have tried 98, 98SE, ME and XP Pro and have the same or similar problem.

The files seem to install but when it comes to configuring (after the "restart" point), I have problems; usually about the time of entering user details, serial number and then it does the hardware search.

It usually results in the blue screen of death - sometimes with one error soon followed by another and the machine appearing to be going a bit 'gaga'. On other occassions I get something saying windows has locked up / protecting or something and I have to power off. Interestingly enough, I had similar probs with my last machine but it usually just froze with a blank screen.

I have tried several times including formatting etc but still no luck. The hardware is all brand new so surprises me this is happening.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Neil

2. spopple

spopple

If you are having these problems from a clean install i would say it is a hardware problem, either conflict of some kind, or most likely dodgy memory or somthing, did you set it up yourself, if so did you use an anti-static strap or earth yourself

3. njf

njf Thread Starter

Thanks - what's the best way to check for / resolve hardware conflicts?

N.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll have to agree that this sounds almost certain to be a hardware issue. The bad news is that the easiest way to look for problems of this type is by parts substitution, it's difficult if you don't have spare parts around. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice