Windows installed 1 & 1/2 times...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thunderstormjack

Hello,

A few years ago, a friend was trying to fix my computer and ended up deleting a necessary file. So I went to re-install Windows XP from the CD (which I don't have anymore). I left for a bit and came back to find that it had not completed correctly, so I simply started over again.

I now have a Windows folder on two different partitions (C and E) on the same hard drive. As far as I can tell, everything updates and runs from the E folder, which I am assuming was the second install. There are more files and folders in there and they have more recent dates for the Last Modified column - most of the folders in the C:\ directory have a last modified date in 2002.

The only folder that has a date after 2002 in C:\Windows is called CatRoot2 - that one says 2/4/2009, but all files inside that folder have a date in 2002.

I'm afraid to just delete the C:\Windows folder, if it would even let me. Is there a way to "uninstall Windows" on just the incomplete system?

The Only way you can do this is to have or make a bootable win XP disc (I THINK:confused:) Im asuming your pc came with an XP disc youve just misplaced it.
Im no expert on the deleting of one half of your partition, but my advice would be to Install A fresh copy of XP,
Its Up to you. ;)

To do this you will need::

1) Windows licence key

2) Your device drivers

3) Burning software

4) An ""C:\I386"" folder on your hard disk.

(you will have to look for the last one, if you got your machine from a company they usually put the important stuff on the hardrive itsself, this i where youl be creating your cd from.)

thunderstormjack

It's a very old computer, and I did find an HP QuickRestore disc with Windows XP Home SP1 written on it, though I can't remember if that's what I used when i had to reinstall. My friend had given me a Windows disc to use, I can't remember if I used that or this one I have, but I know the version of Windows I'm using is indeed authentic.

If I were to just put this disc in, would it erase it all and install it fresh on C? What should I backup that isn't in my removable drive?

ALSO - I have a Windows key written down but again I'm not sure which discs I used to install - do I need to have that same disc?

Sorry, I tend to confuse myself more with the more questions I think of/ask.

What should I backup that isn't in my removable drive?

ALSO - I have a Windows key written down but again I'm not sure which discs I used to install - do I need to have that same disc?

Sorry, I tend to confuse myself more with the more questions I think of/ask.

Erm you should back up what ever you need/want from your permanent (FIXED) HDD. What ever is important to you.

If you have your XP cd And you have your license Key your Good to go(y)
Does ur disc look like this? http://www.geocities.com/msgptre/WINXPPROSP2/WINXP_PRO_SP2_plus_hp.jpg

thunderstormjack

Similar to that, yes. But like I said, the key that I got could be from another CD, I'm not positive.

But like I said, the key that I got could be from another CD, I'm not positive.
If you have your Licence Key And An XP CD your good to go(y),
More than likely you can use either CD to install with your Key,

Eg: if you lost your cd and couldnt get one you can still install Xp the Licence key is the What you Paid for,

Any Hastle and just pop in the other CD and you'l be Goodo

Good luck with your install,
Iv pasted a few links to help you with your install, if they differ from eachother dont worry they all meet the same end,

If you have any questions:confused:, ill be glad to help. :)
Good luck with your install, (y)
Clean Install Windows XP
XP install (a few hints on Partitions)
I like this guide :) (y)

thunderstormjack

I haven't tried anything, I think an XP install would be useless on this old computer. I was hoping for an easy fix on the Windows c: e: problem, but I appreciate your time.

I haven't tried anything, I think an XP install would be useless on this old computer. I was hoping for an easy fix on the Windows c: e: problem, but I appreciate your time.
I thought XP was on it...??:confused:

If you want to post up the spec we can hepl you choose the right OS for your system, A simple upgrade on hardware and you could make a big difference.

just a thought:rolleyes:

neb.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online