1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows installer 3.1 won't install itself!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tom Seeley, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

I keep getting the usual "updates are available" shield on my taskbar, and it's always for the latest update of windows installer 3.1. I've downloaded it 3 times now, and told it to install itself 3 times now, and it always seems to work right, but never really does. It always goes thru its paces and the progress bar goes all the way to the right, but at the very end it ends with a message that says two things, basically: 1) it didn't install properly, and 2) I need to restart for the updates to take effect! Those both can't be right at the same time, obviously!

It must not have installed, because a day or so later the shield pops up again, and it's deja vu all over again!

I read the MS description of the update, and it sounds as if it isn't really worth worrying about! Is that right?

If so, how do I stop windows update from reminding me every other day or so that it's an available update? I want to be reminded; just not for THIS one!

2. Sponsor

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do a file search in Windows for msiexec.exe

For the one in the system32 folder, right click and select Properties > Version.

Is the version number: 3.1.4000

If so, the update has been installed -- but perhaps it wasn't registered properly, so open a command prompt: Start > run cmd and enter:

msiexec /regserver

reboot and see if Windows update stops bugging you.

If the installer version does not reflect the update version, try downloading the setup file to a permanent location in My Documents and run it offline:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803/

4. Dave Kay

Dave Kay

OK Rollin Dog, so I have the version you stated here but the problem I'm having, and I can't find an answer to save my life, is that after installing WI 3.1 v2 I still get error message;

Error Code: -5003 : 0x8004ace8
    Error Information:
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (955)
    pAPP:InstallShield Engine Update 701
    PVENDOR:Your Company Name
    PGUID:CF78D036-AD26-43DF-A437-25CA10BDBE40
    $7.1.100.1248PAK
    @Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 7.0.5730.11

And after attempting to install various other software, it returns the same message... have about gone blind searching for a solution to this prob but to no avail... as you can see I'm trying to install InstallShieldEngineUpdate 701 because on another forum they said that is what the software's DLL requires. (Just Flight's Flying Club for MS Flight Sim 2004)

Anyone else seen this before?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That is an "InstallShield" error. You can google the error code.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=0x8004ace8&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Does the error occur when updating Installshield, or when trying to install other software?

I don't know what the solution is -- but I would probably try deleting the InstallShield engine folder and then reinstall it. You may need to rename the entire installshield folder.

Set a System Restore point first, just in case you make things worse.

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108312

See also:

http://consumer.installshield.com/faq.asp

6. Dave Kay

Dave Kay

Yes, the error occurs when I try to install anything requiring InstallSheild's 07xx engines. So I think there may be a bad/mismatched dll or....? And I must say; Thanks for the Google search Rollin' Rog, but darned if I didn't try this same search and got zilch! Anyway, I see there are many folk out there with the same prob and I now have tons of 'fixes' to try... thanks again and will report back on my results.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There are a couple of "hits" in the Google search with suggestions from applications vendors for that error. The two that I saw involved renaming the Installshield folder and then reinstalling their application.

I don't know how that can work without updating Installshield -- but renaming is a harmless test.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/503470