1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Installer could not be started

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ixiverson, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ixiverson

ixiverson Thread Starter

I run Windows XP on my laptop and recently attempted to load logon loader from Theme XP. I do not think that it installed succesfully and now I can not run windows at all. Every time I turn on my computer and it tries to load an Error window pops up saying :Windows Installer could not be started. And when I hit OK it just tries to load again giving me the same Error window. Is there a way to start up windows another way? PLEASE HELP

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

Try tapping F8 on boot and selecting Last Known Good Configuration . Dont panic if that doesnt work - it's a fairly weak utility but worth trying first .

3. ixiverson

ixiverson Thread Starter

Tried that and it still gave me the same error but thanks for the suggestion though.

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

Did you get as far as the F8 (Safe Mode , etc) screen ?

5. ixiverson

ixiverson Thread Starter

yes, I was able to get to the safe mode menu screen and selected the one you suggested.I also tried starting Windows Normaly with no luck as well

6. nessyguin

nessyguin

I think you might be looking at a repair instal - do you have a recovery partition on your laptop or instal CD ?
    I'd try booting in Safe Mode (F8 again) brfore going to that extreme though .

7. ixiverson

ixiverson Thread Starter

should I try to boot up in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

8. nessyguin

nessyguin

Safe Mode would do just to see if it get's round the problem but any of those will either work or not , in this instance .

9. ixiverson

ixiverson Thread Starter

booted in Safe Mode, it ran for moment pulling up several lines of prompts then went into a screen with Safe Mode in all 4 corners of my screen and and Error box popped up saying: Windows Installer could not be started.

10. nessyguin

nessyguin

Yeah , kinda thought that might happen :(

Do you have an XP CD that came with your laptop ? If not you'll probably have a recovery partition on your hard drive , accessible by hitting one of the F keys on boot (refer to your manual) . You may need to do a repair instal but I'm reluctant to advise you to start that now as it's 2.0am here and I'm about to hit the hay . I'd suggest hanging on a little while so someone can guide you through it (or maybe save you the trouble of repairing) .
    I'll check back on the thread tomorrow to see how it's going .

11. ixiverson

ixiverson Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I'll leave it alone until I get some help from someone. I'll update this later if I figure anything out.

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice