1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows installer dialog popping up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by designer22, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. designer22

designer22 Thread Starter

I've had some problems with my XP SP2 system lately. I uninstalled some programs in order to solve some issues. Now, when the pc boots up, I get a windows installer dialog popping up, saying "preparing to install"...it eventually just goes away. I have no idea what it is trying to install as it never gets that far. No other problems seem to exist.....any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance...

2. CUTech

CUTech

Whats showing in the msconfig startup log? Anything unusual?

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Open Run and type into the box eventvwr.msc and press enter button.

There might be something in there that will tell you what is trying to install and post back any findings that are an error.

4. 1101doc

1101doc

Sometimes when Windows Installer runs for either In- or Unin-stall, not all files for the referenced application are cleared. This is known to Microsoft, and they have provided the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Download the utility and install it. When opened it will provide a list of applications for which Installer has reference. Select those programs which have been uninstalled and click Remove. All Installer references to those programs will be deleted, and the bothersome "Preparing to install..." messages will stop. Do not use the utility on programs that are currently installed unless you are prepared to Re-install them. It is very likely that they will not function without re-install. Should it become necessary to perform such a re-install, please do so to exactly the same directory as the original to avoid complications.

Get it here: (download link half-way down page)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

5. designer22

designer22 Thread Starter

I tried the utility, but no joy...still getting this popup installer dialog every time I launch any ms product.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/573070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice