1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Installer Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by uly, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uly

uly Thread Starter

I'm having problem with the Windows installer (MSI). The installer works fine usually but it runs into fatal error 1603 when installing a Japanese software. I am running English Windows XP with SP2, with the default language for non-Unicode programs set to Japanese (from the control panel).

I have attached two verbose log files, failed.log and successful.log. The successful.log is the same installation, from the same CD, done on a separate machine with similar language settings. The successful log file is truncated since the full log is too big to upload here. Please refer to these two files.

This may be difficult to understand for those who don't read Japanese, but the problem here seems to be that some of the Japanese strings are corrupted. Basically, the installation runs into a few error 1324s, which means "The folder path '[2]' contains an invalid character", before it hits a 1603 fatal error. The first of these occurances is in the line "PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying ARPCOMMENTS property. Its current value is '륪뮮궻뽰?쪚V돷몁맊'." The string at the end of this line are Korean. And no, I don't run any Korean programs on this computer. To my limited knowledge, these Korean text aren't even real Korean, but rather meaningless and obsolete Korean characters.

Since there isn't a similar line in the successful log, which leads me to these speculations: There was previously an botched installation that left some data in the MSI engine that's conflicting with the current installation. Alternatively, there could be something wrong with the MSI extractor or language engine that corrupted the 16-bit Japanese characters.

(On a side note, I've compared the "Korean" with the appropriate Japanese text in the successful log, and the hex values of the text don't seem to have any relations.)

This error occurs with not only this particular program, but all of the Japanese programs I try to install. And again, the installer works fine for English programs. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem? Help?

TIA

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice