1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows installer error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jluva42, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jluva42

jluva42 Thread Starter

When I try to download any applicatio or updatye, I get an error syaing the windows installer could not be accessed. Windows is in safe mode or installer is not correctly installed. Not in safe mode and installer has never been a problem. Please advise

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

When you say "update" are you talking Windows Update?

If you are talking about applications & application updates, are you downloading the update (selecting [Save]) to your PC then running it? Or are you trying to run it directly (selecting [Run])?

Try [Save] then run from your PC.

3. jluva42

jluva42 Thread Starter

I am sorry I wasn't clear. I was trying to download some regular programs. Windows live messenger, etc. Thats when that error came up. Then I saw I needed a java update and when I clicked to update, same error popped up. Thanks for the fast reply, hopefully I was a little clearer.

J

4. tecknomage

tecknomage

Go to Control Panel (classic view) and see if you have the JAVA icon. You should have since it comes with WinXP SP2.

Open the JAVA Control Panel (that's what the icon is), there should be an Update tab, select it. In the panel there is a [Update Now], use this to actually update.

RECOMMEND Note on the Update panel there are options:
    • Check the Check for updates automatically box
    • Notify Me = set for Before installing
    • [Advanced] = set for Daily at a time of day you are online

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice