1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Installer in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jherndo, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jherndo

Jherndo Thread Starter

After a crash mid install of a game my windows installer seems to have gone off the deep end. I keep getting 1628 errors. This, for the most part, only applies to installs referencing .msi I can still get .exe installs to work if they just avoid the windows installer.
    SO.... since Microsoft refuses to let me overwrite my windows installer (from what i see, they dont have any option to download updates or backup from their website) I am a bit lost. I offer two possible solutions, either of which is fine but i need information/instructions on both.
    1) Fix windows installer or 2) Find an alternative to the Windows Installer and reference .msi files to it (is this even possible?)
    In any event, thanks beforehand for any responses or efforts.

2. Jherndo

Jherndo Thread Starter

Alright, idiot forgot to put specs: Windows XP SP1, WindowsInstaller 2.0, AMD 2000+, gig of ram.

Solutions tried already: deleting temp files, try the game install again (failed)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice