windows installer keeps running!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mr_malkovich

me again ... lol

I've been having this problem for a while now. When I open certain programs (sometimes even certain folders) Windows Installer automatically starts running, as if its installing a new program. if i let it run its course, a screen eventually pops up saying it is missing a necessary file for installation (although what its trying to install i have no idea) and says 'windows installer cannot continue.' Normally I just hit Cancel as soon as it pops up, but its getting real irritating. Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

James

gmh

Check your Startup folder to see if windows installer is shown there.. if so, delete.

also, click Start button/Run and type msconfig
click startup tab and look there for reference to
windows installer -- if found, uncheck the box.

This was happening to my computer also - it was the Blaster virus (msblast.exe) trying to install/execute itself. My computer never got the actual virus, though, because it never managed to install itself. I suspect that is what is causing the windows installer problem on your computer - you need to read http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=824146 and download the security patch ASAP.

After installing the patch, go to the website of any one of the major anti-virus companies and download one of the free Blaster virus removal tools, then run it on your computer.

Good luck.

Mollie

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online