1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows installer keeps trying to install Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xsyntrik, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xsyntrik

xsyntrik Thread Starter

I found this issue dating back to 2004 but the links no longer work and this is becoming a thorn in my side! A friend gave my daughter this 3 year old Dell for college because they couldn't figure this out. I would greatly appreciate any help on this issue:

Using XP pro. When the computer boots up the Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9 Edition automaticly starts to try to install. It is relentless, it says "the app. you are tring to install is on a cd rom that is not available, please insert disc and press OK." However I dont have the disc. So I've pressed OK, Cancel, & Browse, those are the options available. Doesn't matter what I press it shuts itself down and starts runing all over again,(vicious cycle). I've also tried to remove the software, it tells me there is a program running and to finish the install before I make any further changes. Please Help

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Go from Start to Run then in the Open box, type msconfig and hit Enter. Click the StartUp tab and find the entry that's causing thios to happen every time the system fires up and untick it. Click Apply and OK then restart the system. When it comes back up tick "Don't show this message again" and hit Enter.

3. xsyntrik

xsyntrik Thread Starter

It prevents it from trying to install, but when I got to add or remove any program it brings up an error saying a user has started to install Jasc and I need to complete that before I can do anything. Is there still a windows installer repair program that is free? Would that even work? I need this process to stop not only on start up but altogether on my system. It appears to be controlling something in the background of my system

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You would need to go into the Registry and use the Edit>Find and FindNext menuitems to track down every entry named Paint Shop or JASC, then delete them all. First and most importantly, though, select the File menu then Export and note the name and location of the Registry backup you're creating - just in case.

5. xsyntrik

xsyntrik Thread Starter

I am not sure I feel comfortable with playing in the registry, nor am I sure where the registry is. I have tried a registry cleaner, and it didn't work. Are there any other options? The post back in 2004 seemed to have a much easier (dumbed down lol) resolution but the link was bad.

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Best to stay away from the Registry in that case. Hopefully someone can track down a working link to the old thread for you. There is a good utility called RevoUninstaller which might be able to clear the way for you by getting rid of the partial installation.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/990666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice