1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Installer lost, and Install problems.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bocabill, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bocabill

bocabill Thread Starter

Greetings Oh wise ones...

I am Running Dell 8300 Dinension/ XP/ SP3/ 512 Mem/ Intel 4/
    My Canon printer died, so got a Used, (but known working in good condition) HP Photosmart 2410xi All-in-One
    and have not been able to install it in spite of every suggested method by HP. I now notice that the Windows
    Installer file is missing from the Services, and it had been there 2 days before this Install effort started.
    It appears that all the dependencies required for the Installer are in place and started, but IT is not listed.
    I can't figure what went wrong, but any suggestions to recover it will be appreciated. Of course every attempt to
    install the printer drives, runs into the missing Windows Installer problem.

Thanks in advance for your usually prompt and learned advice.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

However the more important question is WHY is it missing or damaged/corrupted.
    Are there other problems.
    What anti-virus
    My advice - scan the system
    If anything found I am not authorised on this forum to advise on Malware.
    Report your own post and asked to be moved to Malware.
    This programme is excellent for a scan
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you used some registry tool or "cleaner", it possibly removed it and much more. Restore the backups and uninstall the offending program.

But, as Macboatmaster said, this definitely bears some investigation.

4. bocabill

bocabill Thread Starter

Hello As you suggested I ran Malwarebytes, AVG virus scan, and a Microsoft windows scan, and all 3 came up CLEAN. I have found the these msiexec files on the system;
    (1) C:\windows\system32 (2) c:\windows\service pack files (3) c:\windows\pre fetch,
    (4) c:\1386.. when I searched for msiexec.exe.
    As instructed in the MS /kb/315346 you mentioned, I checked the registry, but neither msiexec.exe or msi server appears in the list of Services after /Current Control Set. They are
    no where on the list.
    I have also tried to install Windows Installer 3.1, but get a message, that this file is older than the file on. the system. so not necessary to install. Why cannot the system file install? Ideas?
    It appears that I might have uninstalled some thing in my printer install attempts...
    I would like to get the Printer going.
    Any further suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

5. bocabill

bocabill Thread Starter

P.S. Do you think that a HijackThis scan might help?

6. Macboatmaster

Right click the drive in My Computer carrying Windows. Click Properties, click tools, click error checking, click check now, click to check automatically fix file system errors, click start. click to agree reschedule for next restart and do so. DO NOT INTERRUPT the chkdsk.
    When it has completed go to Event VIewer, Application, scroll down to Winlogon and check results to see if file system errors were detected.

The go start, run and type "sfc /scannow" without the colons of course and note space betwen sfc and /.
    You may be asked to insert the XP CD

7. bocabill

bocabill Thread Starter

Thanks: sfc /scannow process completed. Was asked for the CD. Used the supplied reinstallation
    one. There were no errors detected on the CHKDSK. Checked for the Windows Installer in
    Services....still not there. Any other suggestions? Please let me know.
    Thanks.

8. Macboatmaster

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/943754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice