1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows installer not working

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by thamilton1548, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thamilton1548

thamilton1548 Thread Starter

I am unable to add or remove programs from my computer. Everytime I try I receive a message stating windows installer is not working.I need to remove an older version of Java so that I can download a newer version to be able to work from home. I try starting the windows installer and I receive a message stating could not start windows installer on local computer. Error 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start. When I try removing java so that I can download updated one I receive error message; windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you sre running windows in safe mode or the windows installers is not correctly installed. Please help. I also made sure the computer was not on safe mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

See if this will help you out.

http://www.java.com/en/

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you been using any registry "cleaner/fixer" type utilities?

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Yeah, like perhaps System Mechanic?

What is your operating system?

5. thamilton1548

Windows xp 32

6. thamilton1548

Yes. I think I may have used to many. I was trying to repair my audio.

7. Phantom010

Click Start > Run > Copy/Paste the following command:

regedit /e C:\look.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer"

Press Enter.

You won't notice anything. However, it will have created a report on your C drive named look. Attach that file to your next reply.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Registry "cleaner/fixer" utilities can damage Windows and break programs and generate error/warning messages and wreak havoc with a computer.

If you've been allowing them to "fix" registry entries and delete files, you may have done enough damage to where a clean reinstall of Windows XP SP3 and getting a fresh start may be the only viable option.

---------------------------------------------------------

9. thamilton1548

Do I paste this on the command screen or in the box that opens after I hit run.

10. Phantom010

In the Run box.

11. Phantom010

Did you find look on your C drive? If not, as I suspect, you don't have the msiserver key anymore. In that case, it will need to be replaced. System Mechanic is notorious for mistakenly deleting that key.

12. thamilton1548

I found the look file, im just trying to send it. My computer is going very slow. Its also giving me a message saying msvcr100.dll is no longer working??

13. Phantom010

14. thamilton1548

My comop

Attached Files:

15. Phantom010

Well, the key looks normal to me.

In my opinion, a XP reinstall might be your best bet. Your operating system has probably suffered extensive damage from multiple registry "cleanings" to be repaired. :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice