1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Installer popping up after XP Service Pack upgrade, plus slow boot.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by red3012, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red3012

red3012 Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

My OS is XP home edition. And my computer knowledge is fairly basic.

There's two things that are concerning me and any advice or help on either or both would be greatly appreciated.

The first thing is I keep getting a 'Windows Installer' box popping up which says 'preparing to install' when I check my Hotmail emails. This problem began after I had a windows update which turned out to be an upgrade to Service Pack 3, last week. As soon as I've clicked cancel on the Windows Installer box, I get an alert from ZoneAlarm saying Windows Messenger is requesting to access the internet. The first time it happened I just let the installer do what it was trying to as I thought the service pack upgrade had made changes to some settings. But then it happened again as soon as I opened the next email (I only open emails from people who I know like my close friends or family by the way). So I'm presuming there's a problem somewhere? Just to note though, it only happens when I open an email in Hotmail, or if I try to sign into MSN Messenger. It hasn't happened anywhere else.
    After trying to look it up on google and searching through a couple of posts on here, I'm still not sure what could be causing this and how to stop it. I've scanned the whole system with AVG and it's all clear. Could it be a problem in the registry or in the update I done? Although I have checked my Windows update history and it says the Service Pack update was successful.

The second thnig is my computer usually takes about five or more minutes to boot up. This isn't a recent thing I have to admit. But I've never really been all that concerned about it until I was reading some posts on here.
    I've looked in my Start Up menu in MSConfig and there is quite a few things in there that I'm not sure of. But I have been a bit worried to disable the things I'm not sure of because as I've said earlier, my computing knowledge is fairly basic and I'd be worried I'm stopping something that is needed. I know this might sound silly, apologies. :eek:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. red3012

red3012 Thread Starter

Thanks very much Squashman, very much appreciated! I'll give that a go now.

Edit:

OK, I selected and removed the MSN Messenger that was in the list as that was the only one I could see that was relevant? After doing this, I went and opened an email but this time instead of the Windows Installer box popping up and being ready to install, it just flashed up and then disappeared really quickly. Then MSN Messenger was trying to access the internet again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/746246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice